Discover the nostalgia of Route 66 during this four-day workshop that travels from Phoenix to Holbrook and west through Flagstaff, Williams, Seligman, Ash Fork, Kingman, and Oatman. As we travel the Mother Road, we’ll make stops in lots of fun, quirky and kitschy locations photographing classic diners, motels, gift shops, gas stations and more.
Under the expert guidance of travel photographer Kerrick James, we will work on creative compositions, close-up details, and neon exposures to create an album of memories. From retro memorabilia and classic cars to wild donkeys and roadside attractions, this workshop will be the perfect road trip!
Take this trip back in time as you hone your photography skills with Kerrick’s expert instruction.
- Photographic instruction
- Three nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Round trip transportation from Phoenix, AZ**
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
**Group transportation is included in the workshop fee with a maximum of 5 passengers per vehicle. Should COVID pandemic concerns continue to warrant self-driving, your workshop fee will be adjusted accordingly.
Please be aware that shooting locations may change subject to weather, lighting and other factors. We make every effort to get you to the right places for the best shooting opportunities.
Day 1 – Thursday, September 23, 2021
- Group will meet in the lobby of the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport at 8:00 am for our drive from Phoenix to Holbrook via Flagstaff.
- We will make a stop en route for lunch.
- We will make our first shooting stops at Twin Arrows and Two Guns
- Then we will make our way to Holbrook for late afternoon into the twilight shooting of the Wigwam Motel.
- Then it’s back to Winslow for our overnight at the historic La Posada Inn, the last great railroad hotel of the 1920s built by the Fred Harvey Company.
Day 2 – Friday, September 24, 2021
- After an early breakfast, we’ll pack our bags and head over to Standing On A Corner Park, where we’ll get the classic “corner” shots.
- Then it’s back on the road with quick stops for morning light at Two Guns and Twin Arrows before continuing on Route 66 from Flagstaff to Seligman with stops in Williams for lunch and some fun photo ops of local diners and historic motels.
- Continuing on we’ll make a stop in Ash Fork to photograph the Desoto’s Beauty, Barber and Gift Shop before reaching our final destination in Seligman.
- We will shoot the balance of the afternoon into twilight in Seligman before checking into our classic Route 66 motel.
Day 3 – Saturday, September 25, 2021
- After breakfast in Seligman, we’ll drive the longest drivable stretch of Route 66 to Hackberry for nostalgic images of the General Store.
- As we travel west on Route 66 we will pass through Antares and the Kozy Corner trailer park, a throwback to a simpler time.
- We’ll arrive in Kingman midday where we’ll hold our an image critique.
- Before heading out to Oatman for afternoon light, we’ll check into our Kingman lodging.
- Then it’s off to photograph the old mining town of Oatman and the wild donkeys that roam the street.
- Return to Kingman for dinner.
Day 4 – Sunday, September 26, 2021
- After breakfast our last day, we’ll pack our bags and head to Cool Springs to capture the 1920’s vintage gas station and then back to Oatman for our last major photo op.
- We will make our way to Topock for lunch at a Colorado River oasis, the Topock 66 before heading back to Kingman and on into Phoenix via Highway 93 and Wickenburg.
- Arrive Phoenix early evening and bid farewell.
Activity Level: Easy.
This is an easy access photo workshop. We’ll be able to drive right up to all of our photo locations.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
La Posada Hotel
303 E 2nd Steet
The first night of our journey will be at the last of the historic Fred Harvey hotels. Lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
While in Seligman will we stay in the historic district in uniquely updated theme rooms. Lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
3031 E Andy Devine Ave
The last night of our journey will find us in Kingman where we’ll stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
TRAVEL INSURANCE IS RECOMMENDED
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.