Join HDR expert Matt Suess for this part field-classroom workshop that is perfectly designed for those wanting to learn High Dynamic Range, or HDR photography. In this workshop Matt will teach you his techniques for taking HDR photographs – when to use HDR, the best camera settings, and other special considerations. HDR photography is the perfect solution when the dynamic range of your photograph exceeds the dynamic range of your camera, requiring multiple exposures to cover the range. These photos are then blended together in post processing.
The field portion of this workshop will take place on a 17 acre privately owned property located in Carefree, just North of Phoenix. This property is perfectly suited for HDR photography. There are a number of old vehicles, gas pumps, and other vintage Americana subjects worth photographing – even a small plane!
In the Classroom portion of the workshop, Matt will show you step by step how to process those photographs using Skylum’s Aurora HDR 2019 and Luminar 2019 software. He will provide tips for natural looking HDR photos as well as more “artistic” and grittier looks.
Requirements: You must have a DSLR or Mirrorless camera that is capable of full manual control, tripod, cable release, and wide-angle to standard lenses. A macro lens is optional. You will also need a laptop (Windows or Mac) with the latest versions of Aurora HDR and Luminar already installed and running. Free Aurora HDR and Luminar trials are available for download prior to the workshop.
- Photographic and post processing instruction
- One working lunch
- Post-workshop critique
Day 1 – Friday, April 5
- The workshop will begin at 6pm with an evening slideshow presentation covering camera settings, techniques, and creative possibility examples.
Day 2 – Saturday, April 6
- Morning shoot at private residence.
- Lunch in downtown Cave Creek
- Group photo walk around Frontier Town for hand-held HDR photos.
- Return to private residence for late afternoon shoot.
Day 3 – Sunday, April 7
- Full day post processing with lunch around noon.
Workshop will be based:
CAMBRiA Hotel North Scottsdale/Desert Ridge
4425 E. Irma Ln.
Phoenix, AZ 85050
The HDR for Beginners will conduct a Friday night presentation and Sunday classroom session at the Cambria Hotel North Scottsdale at Desert Ridge. A courtesy block of rooms are available for participants requiring lodging. Please contact the hotel directly to reserve your lodging and reference Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.