The North Rim of The Grand Canyon offers a completely different experience than the South Rim. The North Rim gets one-tenth of the visitors, and because it gets more precipitation than the South, the canyon walls are more eroded and sloping, making it easier to see the river below. Trails and vista points are not crowded, and best of all; the views are more expansive and unique.
The Monsoon season at the rim is the most spectacular. The mornings are usually clear and we’ll have the opportunity to capture some amazing sunrises over the canyon. It is common to see grazing buffalo and deer in the lush and beautiful meadows that are abundant with wildflowers late into the summer. As the day progresses billowing clouds form and we are often treated to spectacular lighting storms, rainbows and the most dramatic skies ever.
Sunsets at the various overlooks are often the most unique and impressive. The solitude, quietness, and grandeur of these glorious views can be quite overwhelming and the photographic possibilities are endless. This is the place to capture nature on a truly grand scale. We will be staying in cabins right at the rim and dining at the historic North Rim Lodge.
Our mornings will start early with sunrise shoots along the rim. Photographer Suzanne Mathia, will teach you the best techniques for capturing memorable, creative and unique images. Each day after breakfast we will meet for critique sessions and discussions on technique.
In the late afternoon, after a little down time, we will depart for our sunset shoots. We will be travelling to some of the most beautiful overlooks including:
• Walhalla Overlook
• Cape Final
• Roosevelt Point
• Point Imperial
- Photography Field Instruction
- Three nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Roundtrip transportation**
- Water and snacks
- Park entrance and permit fees
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
**Roundtrip transportation is included in the workshop fee for anyone who has received the COVID-19 vaccination. All others must self-drive and a discount will be provided.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Thursday, August 12, 2021
- We’ll meet at our departure hotel in Phoenix at 7:30 for an 8:00 am departure.
- In route, we will stop at Cameron Trading Post for lunch.
- Arrive at North Rim Lodge mid-afternoon and check-in.
- Late afternoon we’ll head out for a sunset shoot along Transept Trail.
- Return to the Lodge for dinner
Day 2 – Friday, August 13, 2021
- Up early for our sunrise shoot at Point Imperial and stops at Mt. Hayden and Greenland Lake before returning to lodge for breakfast and downloading images.
- After a break for lunch we will have some downtime.
- Late afternoon we will reconvene for our sunset at Cape Royal. If opportunities present themselves we will work with lightning triggers to capture dramatic images of lightning at the Grand Canyon.
- Return to the Lodge.
- After dinner, we’ll spend some time learning techniques for shooting night skies.
Day 3 – Saturday, August 14, 2021
- Early morning departure for our sunrise shoot at Angels Window – Walhalla Overlook before returning back to the lodge for a quick breakfast.
- Participants can work one on one with the instructor to review concepts or techniques.
- Our sunset shoot will take us back to Cape Royal to capture more breath-taking views and dramatic skies. This area, simply offers so spectacular many viewpoints, that the photo options on endless.
Day 4 – Sunday, August 15, 2021
- Our last sunrise shoot will be along the Transept Trail overlooks near the Lodge.
- Return to cabins, pack-up and check out. Head back to Phoenix.
Activity Level: Easy to Moderate
Most shooting locations are easy walking distances, on both maintained and unmaintained trails. The North Rim is at an elevation of over 8,000′ so remember to stay hydrated and go slow.
Lodging During the Workshop
Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
North Rim Lodge
Grand Canyon Hwy
During the workshop, our group will stay at the North Rim Lodge cabins. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.