Discover the nostalgia of Route 66 during this four-day workshop that travels from Phoenix to Holbrook and west through Flagstaff, Williams, Seligman, Ash Fork, Kingman, and Oatman. As we travel the Mother Road, we’ll make stops in lots of fun, quirky and kitschy locations photographing classic diners, motels, gift shops, gas stations, and more.
Under the expert guidance of travel photographer Kerrick James, we will work on creative compositions, close-up details, and neon exposures to create an album of memories. From retro memorabilia and classic cars to wild donkeys and roadside attractions, this workshop will be the perfect road trip!
Take this trip back in time as you hone your photography skills with Kerrick’s expert instruction.
- Photographic instruction & image critiques
- Three nights lodging based on single occupancy
- Water, snacks, and a group meal
- Round-trip transportation from Phoenix, AZ
Please be aware that shooting locations may change subject to weather, lighting and other factors. We make every effort to get you to the right places for the best shooting opportunities.
Day 1 – Thursday, August 3, 2023
- Group will meet in the lobby of the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport at 8:00 am for our drive from Phoenix to Holbrook via Flagstaff.
- We will make a stop en route for lunch.
- We will make our first shooting stops at Twin Arrows (only one left standing) and Two Guns
- Then we will make our way to Holbrook for late afternoon into the twilight shooting of the Wigwam Motel.
- Then it’s back to Winslow for our overnight at the historic La Posada Inn, the last great railroad hotel of the 1920s built by the Fred Harvey Company.
Day 2 – Friday, August 4, 2023
- After an early breakfast, we’ll pack our bags and head over to Standing On A Corner Park, where we’ll get the classic “corner” shots.
- Then it’s back on the road with quick stops for morning light at Two Guns and Twin Arrows before continuing on Route 66 from Flagstaff to Seligman with stops in Williams for lunch and some fun photo ops of local diners and historic motels.
- Continuing on we’ll make a stop in Ash Fork to photograph the Desoto’s Beauty, Barber and Gift Shop before reaching our final destination in Seligman.
- We will shoot the balance of the afternoon into twilight in Seligman before checking into our classic Route 66 motel.
Day 3 – Saturday, August 5, 2023
- After breakfast in Seligman, we’ll drive the longest drivable stretch of Route 66 to Hackberry for nostalgic images of the General Store.
- As we travel west on Route 66 we will pass through Antares to photograph the Giganticus Headicus before arriving in Kingman midday where we’ll hold our image critique.
- Group dinner in Kingman.
- After dinner, we will photograph some nostalgic hotels with their neon lights.
Day 4 – Sunday, August 6, 2023
- After breakfast on our last day, we’ll pack our bags and head to Cool Springs to capture the 1920’s vintage gas station and then on to the old mining town of Oatman and the wild donkeys that roam the street.
- We will make our way to Topock for lunch at a Colorado River oasis, the Topock 66 before heading back to Kingman and on into Phoenix via Highway 93 and Wickenburg.
- Arrive in Phoenix early evening and bid farewell.
Activity Level: Easy.
This is an easy-access photo workshop. We’ll be able to drive right up to all of our photo locations.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
La Posada Hotel
303 E 2nd Steet
The first night of our journey will be at the last of the historic Fred Harvey hotels. Lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
While in Seligman will we stay in the historic district in uniquely updated theme rooms. Lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
3031 E Andy Devine Ave
The last night of our journey will find us in Kingman where we’ll stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. For any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
When registering within 90 days of the workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.