Capture vibrant fall colors and images of the local wildlife at locations near the Great Salt Lake (GSL) in Northern Utah. Join Sandy Zelasko as she guides you to her favorite shooting spots along the eastern flank of the largest salt lake in the Western Hemisphere. The GSL is a critically important habitat for millions of native and migratory birds. It lies along the eastern edge of the Pacific Flyway and the western edge of the Central Flyway. Antelope Island is home to a healthy population of American bison, pronghorn, and bighorn sheep along with other amazing wildlife.
When not photographing the local wildlife, we will focus our attention on the unobscured landscapes that stretch in every direction. From fall reflections to barn-side murals, there are ample opportunities to fill our memory cards with incredible images.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Sunday, October 1, 2023
- 3 PM meet conference room, introductions, participant goals, logistics.
- Antelope Island State Park for sunset, wildlife & points of interest.
Day 2 – Monday, October 2, 2023
- Antelope Island State Park for sunrise, wildlife & points of interest.
- Break for lunch.
- 2:30 PM discussion, Q&A, image critiques.
- Antelope Island State Park.
- Return to Layton for dinner.
Day 3 – Tuesday, October 3, 2023
- Our day will begin early as we head to photograph a fall color sunrise at Silver Lake.
- Break for lunch.
- Midafternoon we will return to the hotel for an image critique and Q&A.
- Late in the afternoon, we will venture out to Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area for sunset.
- Return to Layton for dinner.
Day 4 – Wednesday, October 4, 2023
- Our morning will begin with a drive to Huntsville to capture barn-side murals of Americana.
- Continuing on, we will stop at the Ogden Nature Center to photograph landscapes and local birds.
- We will return to the hotel to pack our gear and head to our next lodging location.
- After a break for lunch, we will check in to our hotel in Brigham City.
- Mid-afternoon, we will travel to nearby scenic landscapes through sunset.
- Dinner in Brigham City.
Day 5 – Thursday, October 5, 2023
- Our morning will be spent at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge capturing a variety of birds nesting and in flight.
- Early lunch
- We will make a visit to the Golden Spike National Historic Site to photograph steam-engine and coal-engine trains, along with time-period character actors.
- As we head back, we will stop at Robert Smithson’s earthwork art — the Spiral Jetty, a 1,500 ft coil of black basalt rocks jetting out into the water of the GSL.
- Return to Brigham City for dinner.
Day 6 – Friday, October 6, 2023
- Our last morning will find us tracking fall color in Logan Canyon, 2nd Dam & Tony Grove Lake.
- Lunch in Logan.
- We will return to pick up our luggage in Brigham City and head to the SLC airport for those wishing to be dropped off at the airport.
Physical Rating: Easy to Moderate
Most of the shooting locations are near roadside pullouts or on maintained trails. When we will be shooting fall color in and near Silver Lake, we will be in excess of 9,000′.
Lodging During the Workshop
Best Western Plus – Layton
798 W 1425 N
Layton, UT 84041
Three nights of single-occupancy lodging is included in your workshop fee. Double occupancy is permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Brigham City
15 S 1550 W Street
Brigham City, UT 84302
Phone: (435) 723-7639
Our next lodging location will be in Brigham City where we will spend two final nights in this area. This lodging is included in your workshop fee.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less a non-refundable $250 cancelation fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If you register within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.