Now that you have mastered basic camera techniques it is time to take your photos to the next level by using flash in your images. Flash does not have to be the harsh hard light that we often get with our pop up flashes. Flash can look soft and natural if understood by the photographer. In this Flash Photography class, we will demonstrate and explore the qualities of light through flash units including your on-camera popup flash and external flash both on and off the camera. Flash photography can take a snapshot and turn it into a great shot.
This workshop will begin with a presentation on flash terminology including the inverse square law, guide numbers, and multiple flash modes (rear curtain sync, slow sync, etc). After terminology is understood we will manipulate the quality and quantity of light from each light source: on-camera popup flash, on-camera hot shoe flash units, and off-camera hot shoe flash scenarios. Multiple flash accessories will be demonstrated and available for participants to use. There will be a variety of situations to photograph including portraits, products, and nature opportunities. Whether you have a flash unit that you have never used or you purchase one for the class, spend the day hands-on using your flash unit to capture professional images.
To gain the most from this class, bring an external (detachable) hot shoe flash unit compatible with your camera and an off-camera option as well (choose one):
- Built-in wireless flash compatibility (see camera manual if you have this function), or
- Off-camera flash cord (compatible with your camera & flash), or
- Remote wireless flash triggers (attaches to camera & flash to communicate with each other).
- Photo instruction
- Workshop Critique
Saturday, April 15, 2023
- Group will meet at 8:00 a.m. for an introduction to flash photography.
- Review terminology and various types of light.
- Have a demonstration of the various quantities and qualities of light through the use of hot shoe flash, pop-up flash, and off-camera flash units.
- Demonstrate a variety of flash accessories. Participants will have the opportunity to practice using various accessories and flash units.
- Break for lunch.
- After lunch, we will break into various groups and work in different flash stations. This will include portraits, nature, food, etc. to demonstrate how your settings and technique will produce amazing images.
- The workshop concludes at 5:00 p.m.
The workshop will be held at:
Hampton Inn & Suites Tempe/Phoenix Airport
1550 S. 52nd St.
Tempe, AZ 85281
The workshop will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. in the Papago Meeting Room. Please arrive a few minutes early to locate the classroom and find a seat.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.