Now that you have mastered basic camera techniques it is time to take your photos to the next level with flash. Flash does not have to be the harsh hard light that we often get with our pop-up flashes. Flash can look soft and natural if understood by the photographer. In this interactive webinar, we will demonstrate and explore the qualities of light through external flash units both on and off the camera.
This webinar will include flash terminology including the inverse square law, guide numbers, and multiple flash modes (rear curtain sync, slow sync, etc). Then, Amy will demonstrate on and off-camera flash along with flash modifiers to challenge you in capturing professionally lit flash photos. With weekly challenges, you apply what you learn in this webinar.
Whether you have a flash unit that has never been used or a newly purchased one, this class will teach you how to use flash in a variety of situations including portraits, products, and nature scenarios.
To gain the most from this class, have the following gear ready to use:
- Mid-range zoom lens (if you have one, otherwise a fixed lens works)
- External (detachable) hot shoe flash unit compatible with your camera
- Flash batteries
- Off camera flash capability (choose one):
- Built in wireless flash compatibility (see camera manual if you have this function), or
- Off-camera flash cord (compatible with your camera & flash), or
- Remote wireless flash triggers (attaches to camera & flash to “communicate” with each other).
- Remote wireless flash with transmitter (transmitter attaches to camera & flash communicates automatically with transmitter)
Week 1: May 12, 2021
- Overview – Getting to Know Your Flash
Week 2: May 19, 2021
- Lighting and Flash in Manual Mode
Week 3: May 26, 2021
- Getting the Flash off the Camera
Week 4: June 2, 2021
- Flash Modifiers & Scenarios
Week 5: June 9, 2021
- Critique, Wrap-up, & Final Q&A