Attention ladies! If you enjoy escaping Arizona’s sizzling summer heat there is no better place to enjoy a weekend getaway than Flagstaff. Cooler temperatures, blooming meadows, evergreen forests, and a fun urban vibe provide the perfect location for taking in some high-country photography.
Our Women’s Photo Retreats are always inspirational, uplifting and loads of fun. Taught by Flagstaff resident and NAU photography instructor Amy Horn, these workshops are designed to provide women photographers with a cohesive and safe learning environment to hone their skills while enjoying the camaraderie of like-minded women.
During the workshop, Amy will assist ladies with both the creative and technical elements of photography. Our shooting locations include the urban streets of downtown with its historic buildings, neon signage, and colorful murals, a visit to ancestral pueblos and ruins at Wupatki National Monument, and excursions to forests and meadows in the surrounding area. We will even take a gondola ride up to the top of Snowbowl for spectacular views in all directions.
So if you like cooler temperatures in summer, and getting out to enjoy photography with a great group of women, you won’t want to miss this weekend workshop in Flagstaff in July 2023!
- Field and Classroom instruction
- 2 Nights of Single Occupancy Lodging
- Roundtrip transportation in Flagstaff
- Entrance, park and permit fees
- Gondola ride
- Water, snacks and a group meal
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Friday, July 21, 2023
- The workshop will kick-off at 8:00 a with a meet and greet prior to heading out for our morning shooting locations.
- We will start off by capturing images of historic architecture, murals, and street scenes of downtown Flagstaff.
- We will take a short break at a local coffee shop, and then pursue macro/close-up images.
- Early afternoon we will return to the hotel for a photographer’s presentation and discussion.
- After an early dinner, our group will capture late afternoon light through sunset at local Native American ruins at Wukoki, Box Canyon, and Lomakai Ruins in Wupatki National Park.
- Returning to town after dark we will stop to capture Flagstaff’s neon lights in the downtown area.
Day 2 – Saturday, July 22, 2023
- Early morning sunrise shoot at Bonita Park along with summer flowers.
- Return to the hotel for breakfast and time to download and discuss your images.
- Midday we will seek shelter from the sun in the cool Aspen forest seeking textures and wildflowers.
- Mid-day we’ll take a gondola ride up to the top of Snowbowl to capture grand vistas of the valley below.
- Back in town, the group will enjoy another early dinner.
- Late in the day, we will capture more images of wildlife, flowers, and landscapes in the Kachina Wetlands.
Day 3 – Sunday, July 23, 2023
- On our last morning together, we will rise early to capture waterfowl at local ponds with views of the San Francisco Peaks.
- Breakfast in town and a return to urban photography.
- Return to the hotel for checkout before reconvening in the conference room for a post-procession session.
- The workshop ends mid-afternoon.
Physical Rating: Moderate
Flagstaff sits at an elevation of 7,000′. While hiking is minimal, please remember that elevation can cause altitude sickness and headaches if not properly acclimated and hydrated. Our excursion on the Gondola ride at Snowbowl will reach an elevation of 11,500′. Given that this is a summer workshop, days will be long with early sunrises and late sunsets.
Lodging During the Workshop
2355 S Beulah Blvd
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Tel: (928) 774-2225
The Comfort Inn in Flagstaff will be our base for this workshop. All lodging is based on single occupancy. Should you require a pre-night on Thursday, July 20th, please select this option at registration.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to email@example.com
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100.
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less a $100 administrative fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.