This Fall in Vermont workshop is the stuff of postcards and long-winded travelogues: cool, crisp air that carries the scent of firewood; paper sacks filled with hot cider donuts or maple sweets; a bucolic countryside dotted with picturesque farms and bursting with color.”
Our photo excursion will enjoy two base locations. The initial days will be based in the Stowe area in the northern part of the state where fall foliage turns the soonest and where you will be able to shoot wonderful scenes of classic Vermont villages, farms, hillsides, and covered bridges. Then we take the famous Vermont Route 100 south, which follows the flow of the Mad River and is considered Vermont’s most scenic drive.
The southern base of the workshop will be Woodstock, Vermont. The town was settled in the mid 18th century and continues to exude charm as the quintessential New England village, equipped with a centrally located covered bridge, a village green, restored Greek Revival, Federal, and Georgian-style homes as well as old country farms and parks.
Everywhere we travel in Vermont will be lush with tidy farms, hillsides covered in maple trees preparing for winter, covered bridges (over 100), quaint and friendly villages and the pleasant people of Vermont.
Between shooting sessions, you will share your photos with like-minded, fellow photographers and a skilled workshop leader will provide helpful tips and critiques that will push your photography to the next level.
Our Key Shooting Locations
- Burlington Champlain Lake Shore: Scenic inlets, Shelburne village, Shelburne Orchards, Downtown Burlington (if time permits)
- Stowe And Surrounding Area: Emily’s Covered Bridge, Sterling Falls Gorge, Moss Glen Falls, Stowe Cider, Mt. Mansfield, Weissner Woods, Vt. Route 108 (Smuggler’s Notch State Park), The Old Red Mill (Jericho, Vt.)
- Vermont Route 100: Colonial Village of Warren, Many locations along the Mad River, The Round Barn in Waitsfield
- Woodstock: The quaint town and back roads of Woodstock, Vt.
- Field and classroom photography instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Burlington, VT
- Four nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Water, snacks, a group lunch and a group dinner
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Wednesday, October 7, 2020 – Arrival in Burlington
- Reception lunch, followed by orientation and get-to-know-you meeting with student photo level assessment and initial instruction
- Mid-afternoon shoot of Shelburne village, Shelburne Orchards, and nearby Lake Champlain shoreline sunset.
- Travel to Stowe (50 min.) and hotel check-in
Day 2 – Thursday, October 8, 2020 – Stowe, Smuggler’s Notch and Waterbury areas
- Morning Sterling Falls Gorge and Moss Glen Falls
- Mid-morning classroom session & critique
- Break for lunch
- Mid-afternoon to Golden Hour shooting Emily’s Covered Bridge, Old Red Mill and farm scenes along the route.
- Group dinner.
Day 3 – Friday, October 9, 2020 – Vermont Route 100
- Early morning shooting of attendee selected sites in the Stowe Waterville area
- Mid-morning to sunset shooting along Vermont Route 100 including the villages of Warren, Granville, and Stockbridge (81 miles).
- Woodstock hotel check-in
- Group dinner
Day 4 – Saturday, October 10, 2020 – Woodstock, Vermont
- Morning shooting the Quechee Gorge and Woodstock village.
- Free time to shoot individually or in small groups
- Mid-afternoon classroom session & critique
- Shoot the village of Grafton
- Shoot Sleepy Hollow Farm and Billings Farm and Museum
- Final group dinner.
Day 5 – Sunday, October 11, 2020 –
- Improvement and best photo awards breakfast and departure to Burlington.
Activity Level: Easy to Moderate
This workshop is physically easy to navigate. Most shooting locations are within easy walking of our vehicles.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Pre-night rooms are available for workshop participants for the evening of October 6, 2020. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates.
Lodging During the Workshop
Our first two nights of the workshop we will be based out of Stowe. Lodging is based on double occupancy. You may specify a single room supplement and pay the additional fee at registration.
The last two nights of the workshop we will be based in Woodstock. Lodging is based on double occupancy. You may specify a single room supplement and pay the additional fee at registration.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.