Autumn in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas is truly one of the great scenic wonders of the South. During this 6-day workshop, we will visit and photograph a variety of features for which the Ozark Mountains are known (e.g. fall foliage and forested landscapes, waterfalls, geologic formations, various macro possibilities, sunsets, and sunrises).
The first three days of our adventure will be based in Ponca, AR, where we will stay in a large private lodge with individual private suites. After exploring all the scenic byways and hideaways we will travel further south to spend two days at Petit Jean State Park where our group will have accommodations in the main lodge.
Throughout the week several photoshoot locations will require some hiking, from pullout/overlook type shoots to ~4 miles with >400 feet elevation change. There will be a need to hike with headlamps to arrive at some sites in time to set up for the morning golden hour shoot.
Come along with photographer David Jaffe as he guides you through the spectacular rolling mountains of the Ozarks and take home stunning captures of autumn scenes.
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Photographic instruction and image review
- 6 nights lodging based on single occupancy
- Round trip transportation from Bentonville, AR
- Park permits and fees
- Water, snacks, group meal
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022
- Meet Clients at Bentonville departure hotel for orientation and presentation on Expedition Photography
Depart for Ponca arriving at Buffalo River Outdoor Center in time for lunch.
- Early afternoon check into our lodging accommodations
- Mid-afternoon we will stretch our legs and prime our lenses as we take a two-mile round trip, hike with a 400 feet elevation gain and some uneven terrain to photograph colorful leaves, high bluffs, gorgeous water features, natural bridges, and mossy rocks. At the end of the trail, we’ll reach Eden Falls, which drops more than 50 feet into an emerald pool.
- Return to Lodge for Dinner
Day 2 – Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022
- Rise early to arrive at Hawksbill Crag/Whitaker Point for an easy 1.5-mile hike to a prominent point for sunrise. Along the hike down we’ll see gigantic boulders, stunning waterfalls, and colorful trees.
- Return to the lodge for lunch, downloading, and rest.
- Head out in the afternoon to shoot sunset and fall color.
- Return to our lodge for dinner.
Day 3 – Thursday, Oct 27, 2022
- Today we will enjoy a leisurely morning before heading out to work on macro photography. After spending a couple of hours perfecting our technique, we will return to the lodge to download images.
- Late morning, we will host image critique followed by lunch.
- Mid-afternoon we will hike the Buffalo River Trail ( > 4-mile r/t) between the Ponca Low-Water Bridge and Steel Creek Campground, one of the prettiest legs of the entire trail.
- Return to lodge for dinner.
Day 4 – Friday, Oct 28, 2022
- After our breakfast, we will pack up and depart for our next destination.
- Along the way, we will enjoy a great photo op at Pedestal Rocks and Kings Bluff. This 2.2 hike one-way traverses through the woods for the first mile before arriving at the large jagged rock spires carved away by erosion known as Pedestal Rocks.
- We will continue our way south down the Scenic 7 Byway stopping for lunch en route.
- Continuing on we will stop at the Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge to photograph waterfowl and other wildlife.
- Then we will travel on just a short distance to Mather Lodge in Jean Petit State Park,
Day 5 – Saturday, Oct 29
- Our day will be spent hiking the trails in Petit Jean State Park leading us through forests, meadows, overlooking canyons, along streams, sheer bluffs, the spectacular 95-foot Cedar Falls, and several named features such as “Bear Cave”, “the Grotto”, and “Natural Bridge”.
- Return to Lodge for lunch
- Mid-afternoon through sunset we will go to Mount Nebo State Park
- Return to the lodge for dinner
Day 6 – Sunday, Oct 30, 2022
- On our last day, we will rise early, pack up and return to Mount Nebo State Park for sunrise.
- We will continue our drive back to Bentonville via the eastern leg of the Boston Scenic Loop, route 71.
- With a stop for lunch en route we will arrive in Bentonville mid-afternoon when the workshop adjourns.
Physical Rating: Moderate to Slightly difficult
Participants should feel comfortable hiking in the dark with headlamps and keen to carry their gear for up 4 miles over uneven-trailed terrain with >400 feet elevation change. Weather in the Ozarks in the Fall is fickle but should not be too different from most of our adventures.
The workshop begins and ends:
Wyngate by Wyndham
7400 SW Old Farm Blvd,
Bentonville, AR 72712
Participants will meet at the Wyngate by Wyndham hotel in Bentonville a short distance from the Northwest Arkansas National Airport. The hotel provides free shuttle services. A courtesy block of rooms is available for the night of October 24th. This night is not included in your workshop fee. Our group will meet in the hotel conference space at 8:00 am on October 25th for a brief orientation and presentation before departing for our workshop destinations.
During the Workshop:
Buffalo Outdoor Center
The first part of our photo excursion will be based in Ponca where we will stay in a private lodge with private suites and common living spaces. This well-appointed lodge has all the amenities for enjoying the perfect getaway. Three nights lodging is included in the workshop fee.
Petit Jean State Park
1069 Petit Jean Mountain Rd
Morrilton, AR 72110
As we move south in the Ozarks we will spend the next two nights in the beautiful Petit Jean State Park. Two nights lodging based on single occupancy is included in your workshop fee.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.