Nature photographer, David Jaffe, loves residing at the base of the San Juan Mountains, especially with the spectacular beauty in fall! During this workshop, David will guide you to groves of yellow aspen and fire-red scrub oak blanketing the slopes of the San Juan and Sneffel mountain ranges.
As we wander along the Million Dollar Highway, Dallas Divide, and various back roads in the Uncompahgre National Forest, your compositions will be endless. During our outfitted jeep tours with Switzerland of America, our group will have views from high atop the mountain passes. These excursions will take us through alpine meadows, historic mining towns, and spectacular mountain passes including Imogene Pass (13,114′) where we’ll enjoy 360-degree views of the San Juan Mountains ablaze in fall color.
Don’t miss this opportunity to capture the Colorado Rockies in all its fall splendor!
- Field instruction
- Five nights of single occupancy lodging
- Water, snacks, and welcome dinner
- Tour, park, and permit fees
- Gratuity for jeep guides
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Sunday, September 24, 2023
- Meet in the Montrose hotel conference room at 6:00 pm for orientation and meet and greet.
- Welcome dinner.
Day 2 – Monday, September 25, 2023
- We will check out and depart early for our first shooting excursion en route to Ouray. We will take a picnic lunch to eat in the field as we shoot fall color at Silver Jack Reservoir, Owl Creek Pass, and Rowdy lakes.
- Arriving late in the day in Ouray, we will check in to our hotel and then give time for participants to rest and grab dinner at a local eatery.
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 26, 2023
- Our morning will start early as we head to Crystal Lake for early light to capture reflections of mountains and fall colors.
- Heading back towards Ouray, we will stop at Red Mountain pass to photograph the amber, red and orange foliage blanketing the slopes.
- Arriving back in Ouray, we will break for lunch and some downtime.
- Mid-afternoon our group will head towards Ridgeway to photograph the backroads in the Uncompahgre National Forest for more mountain views and vistas of fall color.
- Return to Ouray for dinner.
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 27, 2023
- Our morning will start early as we head toward the Dallas Divide for early light and sweeping views of fall color in the basin.
- Returning to Ouray after our morning shoot, we will have brunch followed by an image critique.
- Mid-afternoon we will take an outfitter jeep ride to photograph the Red Mountain Historic Mining District.
- Return to town for dinner.
Day 5 – Thursday, September 28, 2023
- Today is a full-day outfitter-jeep excursion to photograph Imogene Pass, Telluride, old Tom Boy Mine, and Last Dollar Road.
- Return to Ouray late in the afternoon.
Day 6 – Friday, September 29, 2023
- Our last morning will begin with a sunrise shoot followed by breakfast.
- The group will check out of the hotel and begin our travels back to Montrose.
- The workshop will adjourn by 12:00 pm.
Activity Level: Moderate
Though light hiking is involved during this workshop, it is at a high altitude, so participants must be in moderate to good shape and able to get in and out of vehicles multiple times per shooting session. During our outfitted jeep rides we will be at 13,000+ feet in elevation. Please consult your physician if high elevation will impact your health. Weather can vary at high altitudes. It is important to dress in layers as it can be cold and windy in the higher elevations at this time of year.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
The first night of the workshop begins on September 24, 2023. This night is included in your workshop fee. If you plan to arrive earlier than the 24th, a courtesy block of rooms is available for the night of Sept. 23rd and for the post-night of September 29th. Participants needing these additional nights are required to make their own reservations by calling directly to the hotel.
Lodging During the Workshop
Matterhorn Inn Ouray
201 6th Avenue
Ouray, CO 81427
Tel: (970) 325-4938
Four nights of single occupancy lodging are included in your workshop fee at Matterhorn Inn Ouray. Double occupancy is permitted for companions traveling together. A discount will be provided. This hotel does not have an elevator so please advise our office immediately if you would like a first-floor room. We will do our best to secure a room on the bottom floor.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $250
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less a $250 administrative fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.