A favorite location of nature photographers, the colorful aspens and ponderosa forests surrounding Flagstaff’s San Francisco Peaks offer spectacular mountain vistas, aspen groves, ferns, flowers, ponderosas and grassy meadows.
Join long-time resident of northern Arizona, photographer Joel Wolfson on the three-day fall getaway to capture some of Arizona’s best autumn color in the state. During this workshop, we will travel to surrounding areas to find the best autumn color and photo ops for great scenery and sweet light.
- photography instruction
- 2 nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Water and snacks
- image critique
Transportation is not included. Participants will be encouraged to carpool to minimize vehicle congestion.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Friday, October 2, 2020
- The workshop kicks off in the hotel meeting room at 10:00 am with an orientation and presentation by Joel Wolfson.
- Lunch on own
- After lunch, the group will reconvene for a discussion, critique, and review of images brought from home
- Mid-afternoon the group will depart for our afternoon through sunset locations.
- Return and dinner on own.
Saturday, October 3, 2020
- Up early to capture the light from sunrise on a variety of aspen groves and wooded trails in the San Francisco Peaks.
- Return for breakfast on your own and time to download images.
- Mid-morning meet in the classroom for a review and critique of the earlier field shoots.
- Break for lunch
- Continue review and image critique
- Depart for sunset shoot of historic cabins, aspens, and mountain vistas.
Sunday, October 4, 2020
- Another early morning for a sunrise shoot
- Return for breakfast and downloading of images
- Discussion on the success of making use of different types of light and visual concepts.
- Check out of the hotel and break for lunch.
- Return to the meeting room for final image critique.
- Workshop adjourns at 3:00pm
Activity Level: Moderate
This workshop will take place off of numerous forest service roads in the Coconino Forest. While most do not require four-wheel clearance, the road conditions can vary depending on weather conditions. Most standard vehicles can maneuver these roads, just keep in mind they are not geared for luxury and/or sport vehicles. Most hiking will be minimal and under 1-mile round trip. Fall in Arizona’s high country can be quite chilly so warm clothing in layers is highly recommended. Also, remember the elevation in the surrounding Flagstaff area starts at 7,000′ so please be conscious of your physical abilities at altitude.
Courtyard by Marriott
2650 S Beulah Blvd
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
The workshop will be based at the Courtyard by Marriott Flagstaff. Two nights lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Single supplements are available for an additional fee. A courtesy block of rooms is available for participants wishing to reserve pre-night lodging for October 1, 2020. This additional night is not included in the workshop fee. Rooms must be booked by September 7, 2020 to guarantee availability. Parking at hotel is complimentary.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.