Ahhh…autumn — a time of transformation — when days are filled with clear skies and crisp mountain air. Set against the remarkable backdrop of one of the West’s most stunning mountain ranges, this Grand Teton workshop offers the chance to capture the striking beauty of fall. Glacier-scarred crags stand in stark contrast to crystal alpine lakes that dot the valley floor. The lakes offer mirror reflections of bright blue skies set against golden aspen groves that glow on the mountain hillsides.
Verdant summer meadows become frosty glades, where wildlife roams during early autumn mornings and large cottonwood trees line the Snake River as it winds across the valley. Noted nature and wildlife photographer Henry Holdsworth will take you to the stunning vistas this park has to offer.
This workshop is timed to hit the peak of fall color. As a year-round resident, Henry knows where and when to find the stunning landscapes of autumn. He’ll take you to the best spots to photograph fall color during optimal times — when light conditions are just right. In the park, large stands of deciduous trees blaze orange and yellow, while various species of willows and other shrubs transform the lake and canyon trails into carpets of gold and red.
October is also an important time of year for wildlife — the breeding season for deer, elk, moose, bison, and pronghorn. Bears can be spotted searching for berries and other food before their annual hibernation. Possible shooting locations include Jenny Lake, Oxbow Bend, the Mormon barns, String Lake and Schwabacher Landing. Henry will determine the best locations based on light conditions and the degree of fall color. Join us to experience one of Mother Nature’s most impressive displays.
- Photography instruction
- 4-nights lodging – single occupancy one-bedroom cabins
- Roundtrip transportation during the workshop*
- Permits and park entrance fees
- Water, snacks and a group meal
- Post-workshop critique
*Group transportation is included in the workshop fee with a maximum of 5 passengers per vehicle. Should COVID pandemic concerns continue to warrant self-driving, your workshop fee will be adjusted accordingly.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day One – Saturday, October 2, 2021
- Participants should arrive at Dornan’s by 1:00 pm.
- After a presentation, the group will head out to capture the first in a series of fall color photographs.
- Sunset shoot may be at the Snake River Overlook or another location deemed best by the photographer, depending on fall color and quality of light.
- Return for dinner.
Day Two – Sunday, October 3, 2021
- Sunrise near Oxbow Bend, the Mormon barns or Schwabacher Landing is a possibility, where fall color can be dramatically contrasted with the surrounding mountains. Keep an eye out for the animals that frequent these areas.
- Break for lunch
- More photography throughout the afternoon, until past sunset.
- Image Critique.
Day Three – Monday, October 4, 2021
- Again, our sunrise location will depend on lighting conditions and the status of fall color and will undoubtedly find ourselves at Schwabacher Landing, Oxbow Bend, or the Mormon barns.
- Break for lunch
- Appropriate locations for afternoon and sunset photography might include a return to Oxbow Bend to get the trees when they are backlit, or a shoot somewhere along the Snake River, at Jenny Lake or at Colter Bay.
- Return for dinner.
Day Four – Tuesday, October 5, 2021
- Sunrise may be at String Lake or Jenny Lake, which would give us a chance to see the Tetons reflected in the cool surface of the water.
- Return to download images and hold an image critique.
- Lunch break.
- Continue photographing the amazing autumn landscapes.
- Farewell group dinner.
Day Five – Wednesday, October 6, 2021
- Our last sunrise shoot will take us to the best location that Henry feels will yield terrific photographs!
- Workshop adjourns by noon.
Physical Rating: Moderate
Many of the shooting locations are relatively easy to access with moderate walking on maintained and unmaintained trails. The fall season can change rapidly from comfortable weather to very cold weather, so participants should plan accordingly.
Dornan’s Spur Ranch Cabins
Jackson Hole, WY
During our fall in the Grand Tetons workshop, we will stay at the Dornan’s cabins adjacent to the entrance of the park. Well-appointed single occupancy, one-bedroom cabins are included in your workshop fee. Should you wish to book your cabin for the night before the workshop begins, please call Dornan’s to complete the transaction. Let them know you are staying with our workshop group. This should be done prior to March of 2021 to guarantee availability.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.