Southern Utah’s Grand Staircase, situated in Escalante National Monument, boasts more than 3,000 square miles of sun-drenched backcountry, colorful sandstone cliffs, hoodoos, slickrock, narrow slot canyons, scenic washes and ancient petroglyphs. But to see many of these fascinating locations you must lace up your hiking boots and traverse the trails and washes to find these hidden treasures. Although considered a bit more strenuous than some of our workshops, participants will reap the reward of their efforts. Awaiting your arrival at the end of the trails will be the spectacular sights of Hell’s Backbone, Hole-in-the-Rock Road, and the Burr Trail. Each twist and turn will reveal yet another unique canyon, plateau or mountain vista. Photographer and instructor Laurence Parent has navigated this expansive wilderness region and knows the best photographic treasures in the area. Over the course of five days, Laurence will guide photographers on technique, composition and settings in order to capture stunning images of this region.
We will spend time photographing Peek-A-Boo Canyon and Spooky Gulch as well as the unique hoodoos in Devils Garden and the flowing falls at Lower Calf Creek. And when not photographing canyons, slickrock and waterfalls, we will head into the Dixie National Forest and photograph the changing color of aspens and sweeping vistas across the plateau. During the workshop, time will be spent reviewing photographic techniques and image reviews.
- Photographic instruction
- Lodging based on Double Occupancy
- Round-trip transportation from Phoenix
- A couple of picnic breakfast/lunches in the field, water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, park, permit* and tour fees
- Post workshop critique
Day 1 – Monday, September 30
- Arrive in Escalante by early afternoon. Check into motel.
- Photograph that evening at Devils Garden along Hole-in-the-Rock Road where there are arches and many hoodoos. Total hiking is around a ½ mile.
- Dinner on own.
Day 2 – Tuesday, October 1
- Early rise for our morning sunrise just outside of Escalante where the highway drops down into the Escalante River Canyon among dramatic slick rock bluffs.
- Then it’s off for a morning hike (about 4.5 miles RT) to Zebra Slot, one of the most scenic slot canyons in the region.
- After our hike we will stop for a late lunch and then back to hotel for a bit of downtime for downloading images.
- Late afternoon, we’ll head out again near Boulder Mountain where we’ll photograph the dramatic high ridge at sunset.
- Dinner on own.
Day 3 – Wednesday, October 2
- Rise early to catch sunrise at the slick rock bluffs near the Burr Trail.
- Then we will spend the morning shooting the twisted slot of Peek-A-Boo Canyon and deep, narrow Spooky Gulch with about 2 miles of hiking and a little rock scrambling.
- Return to hotel for image download and critique and working lunch.
- Mid-afternoon we will drive into the Dixie National Forest for fall aspen photos and then continue to Hells Backbone for sunset.
- Dinner on own.
Day 4 – Thursday, October 3
- Another early morning to catch sunrise against the dramatic bluffs of the Escalante Staircase.
- Then we will embark on a 6 mile RT hike to photograph Lower Calf Creek Falls.
- Break for lunch
- Mid-afternoon we’ll head out to photograph Devils Garden through sunset.
- Final group dinner.
Day 5 – Friday, October 4
- Our final sunrise will take us to another beautiful location along the Escalante River Canyon. Here we will have the opportunity to photograph incredible petroglyphs.
- Return to motel. Checkout.
- Meet for last classroom session and image critique.
- Workshop adjourns by noon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Difficult.
Participants must be in good physical condition. During this workshop we will hike approximately 14 miles over five days. You must be able to hike, carrying your own gear and water, through desert washes and be capable of some light rock scrambling. Most hikes will involve little elevation change. Sturdy hiking shoes are recommended.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop partipants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Circle D Motel
475 W Main St.
Escalante, UT 84726
Phone: (435) 826-4297
The workshop begins at the Circle D Motel in Escalante. Four nights lodging are included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Should you wish a single room, you may select the single supplement during registration.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.