This workshop is packed with learning and photo opportunities! Our main focus will be to photograph four species of hummingbirds typically observed during migration in this higher altitude area of northern Arizona—including the rufous and broad-tailed hummingbirds, as well as the less common black-chinned and calliope hummingbirds that visit our workshop location regularly. The Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area is filled with a variety of bird and wildlife, too! We may also potentially see and photograph pinyon jays, mountain bluebirds, various raptors, and much more. With it being migration season, almost anything could potentially come through and surprise us! Lastly, there may also be opportunities to photograph wildflowers along the dirt roads coming into and out of Sipe.
Using multi-flash setups and abundant, supportive instruction, you will learn the techniques and technology required for photographing amazing hummingbirds in action, allowing you to capture tack-sharp wings and beautiful color! We will provide the flash equipment, assorted flowers, backdrops, instruction, and humor needed to provide you with a great experience and outstanding images. You bring your camera, tripod, a lens that reaches about 300 to 400mm, and desire!
As time and weather allow, your leaders, Lisa Langell and Kim Gray, will also show you creative nature photography techniques such as unique approaches to abstract photography, high-key nature photography, and various ideas and photographic styles that appeal to buyers.
You will learn:
- How to use multiple speedlights to create a hummingbird flash photography setup
- How to set your settings for optimal results using multi-flash setups
- How to photograph hummingbirds in both traditional styles using flashes–as well as contemporary high-key looks!
- Several post-processing tips to make your images stand out (provided via video for your permanent reference)
- Photographic instructions w/2 expert photographers
- 3 Nights Lodging based on single occupancy*
- Water, snacks, and one group meal
- Permit and access fees
- Post-workshop critique
This is a self drive workshop. Transportation is not included in your workshop fee.
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may changes. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
The itinerary is weather dependent*
Day 1 – Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Arrive in Eagar. early afternoon.
- Check into your rooms and then head directly to Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area by 2:00 pm.
- Workshop kickoff will begin with a welcome presentation and initial instruction.
- The group will shoot until evening, return to your hotel.
- Return to the hotel.
Day 2 & 3 – Monday & Tuesday, August 2-3, 2021
- Early start at 5 am for breakfast at hotel.
- Depart hotel for Sipe by 5:30 to arrive and get setup at Sipe by 6:15am.
- Supportive instruction will be provided while you set up your flashes and get ready for the morning’s shoot. There will be 4-5 stations and two people per station. We will have participants shoot for approximately 30-minute sessions and then take turns photographing the hummingbirds. When it is not your turn to shoot at the station, there are abundant hummingbirds and other birds to photograph at several areas on-premises using natural light.
- We will enjoy a picnic lunch break at 11:00 am followed by an instructional session on processing your images. As the hummingbirds slow down a bit during the middle of the day, the instructional time and indoor shade provide you with learning, rest, and camaraderie.
- We will resume our photography at the stations around 2:00 pm. Weather permitting, we will photograph until approximately 7:00 pm.
- Return to the hotel.
Day 4 – Wednesday, August 4, 2021
- Our final morning will begin like the previous two mornings arriving at Sipe by 6:15 am.
- Participants will have more than 4.5 hours of shooting time, switching off between twosome partners.
- At 11:00 am the group will assemble for our last picnic lunch, Q&A, closing activity, and group photo.
- Workshop adjourns at 12:00 pm
NOTE: Should the area receive inclement weather causing the hummingbirds to next, we will take advantage of unanticipated photography opportunities (e.g. a herd of antelope shows up) or other occurrences that may result in modifications to the itinerary as necessary to provide for the group’s safety and enjoyment.
This is a relatively low-impact workshop. Participants will be shooting under hummingbird station canopies. A camp-style chair is recommended for relief from periods of prolonged standing. The elevation at the wildlife area is approximately 7700′.
Lodging During the Workshop
Best Western Sunrise Inn
128 N Main Street
Eagar, AZ 85925
Phone: (928) 333-2540
Three nights lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Pre-night workshop lodging may be booked directly with the hotel. Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
SPECIAL TERMS DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC: Any 2021 workshop registration purchased between August 1, 2020, through December 31, 2020, will be entitled to a 100% refund up to 30 days prior to departure. Your final payment will also be extended to 30 days prior to the workshop.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.