To find truly dark skies for night photography, you need to go “off the grid”! Great Basin National Park in Nevada is just that. Deemed an official International Dark Sky Park, Great Basin’s remote location, minimal light pollution, and high elevation is the perfect place to view the celestial heavens.
On moonless, clear nights, the skies are illuminated with thousands of stars, planets, galaxies, meteorites, and of course the Milky Way. During this five-night workshop, photographer and author of “Fun in the Dark: A Guide to Successful Night Photography”, Beth Ruggiero-York, will instruct on proper settings and techniques to capture the beauty of the night skies.
And of course, the park’s diverse terrain of ancient bristlecone pines, glacial lakes, and its towering 13,000′ Wheeler Peak, provides great foreground opportunities in your night sky images.
When not in the field enhancing your night photography skills, Beth will show you how to get the most out of your images in post-processing and composition with in-class image critiques.
The workshop is based at Hidden Canyon Retreat, a beautiful guest ranch about 20 minutes from the park. The ranch sits on 350 acres in Big Wash Canyon. While this workshop focuses on night skies, there is plenty to see and shoot in daylight as well, and we’ll make time to capture some of it.
- Photography instruction
- 5 nights lodging based on single occupancy
- Round-trip transportation from Salt Lake City*
- Water, snacks, picnic meals in the field and all meals at the Hidden Canyon Retreat**
- Permits and entrance fees
- Post-workshop critique
*Group transportation is included in the workshop fee with a maximum of 5 passengers per vehicle. Should COVID pandemic concerns continue to warrant self-driving, your workshop fee will be adjusted accordingly.
**Meals outside the ranch will be participants responsibility – 2 lunches and 2 dinners
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Friday, June 11, 2021
- Depart Comfort Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport hotel mid-morning for Great Basin National Park (~4 hours).
- En route, the group will stop for lunch.
- Continue on to Baker, NV where we will check into the Hidden Canyon Retreat.
- Orientation in the courtyard.
- Early Dinner
- Sunset and night shoot on the Hidden Canyon property.
Day 2 – Saturday, June 12, 2021
- After our breakfast at the ranch, we will hold classroom instruction on the newest night photography techniques.
- Break for lunch.
- After lunch, we will drive into the park to tour the vast caverns in Lehman Caves and practice our low-light shooting skills for dramatic shots.
- We will have an early dinner at the café in the Visitor Center.
- The group will head out for our night shoot at Stella Lake, an alpine lake in the park. (This hike is at 10,000 feet)
- Return to ranch.
Day 3 – Sunday, June 13, 2021
- After a leisurely morning at the ranch, we’ll head into the park to drive up to Wheeler Peak, stopping to shoot along the way.
- We will bring a picnic lunch to enjoy miday.
- We will continue to explore the diversity of landscapes throughout the day.
- Late in the day, the group will head to the tiny town of Baker, NV for dinner.
- Then it is time to head out to Mather Overlook for our night shoot looking out over the snow-covered mountains of the Snake Range.
- Return to ranch.
Day 4 – Monday, June 14, 2021
- Our morning will be spent at the ranch downloading and relaxing.
- Following breakfast, our group will gather for a critique of your images and discuss post-processing.
- After lunch at the ranch, our group will drive to Ely, NV to Ward Charcoal State Historic Park where we will photograph the kilns at night.
- We will enjoy a picnic dinner in the field as we prepare to photograph the night skies.
Day 5 – Tuesday, June 15, 2021
- After spending the day in the park, we’ll return to the ranch to enjoy our Farewell Dinner before our final night shoot in Hidden Canyon. (Breakfast and dinner at Hidden Canyon)
Day 6 – Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Pack up after breakfast for the drive back to Salt Lake City. Workshop ends. (Breakfast at Hidden Canyon + bag lunch to take with us)
Stella Lake hike — about 1 mile each way, some areas of loose rock and uneven ground
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
202 North Jimmy Doolittle Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
Phone: (801) 783-3165
The workshop will depart from and return to Comfort Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport mid-morning on Friday, June 11, 2021. A courtesy block will be available for participants requiring lodging the night before and the night after the workshop. This must be reserved and paid for on your own by using a unique booking link, which will be added to this section after January 2021. Reservations should be made no later than May 26, 2021 in order to guarantee availability.
Lodging During the Workshop
Hidden Canyon Retreat
Lehman Caves Rd
Baker, NV 89311
Phone: (775) 234-7172
During this workshop, we will be based at the Hidden Canyon Retreat, a beautiful guest ranch about 20 minutes from the park. The ranch sits on 350 acres in Big Wash Canyon. All rooms are based on single occupancy. Meals at the ranch are included in the workshop fees. Meals outside of the ranch are paid by the participant
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.