Are you ready to apply elements of design to your photography compositions? If so, then join Amy Horn for a weekend of photography, focusing on exposure, composition, color and texture. With Amy’s love of teaching and thorough instruction on optimal camera settings, you will activate your creative juices.
The combination of tall ponderosa pines and water on the Mogollon Rim will be our backdrop for this photo workshop. After a short lesson at Kohl’s Ranch, Amy will guide you through the elements of design (line, shape, form, texture, pattern and color) at several locations including lakes, creeks and granite outcroppings. She will assist you in creating simplified compositions while applying exposure and hyperfocal techniques to your scene. This workshop is perfect if you are ready to master your gear and walk away with compelling photographs.
- Photographic instruction
- One nights lodging (single supplement included)
- Water and snacks
- Post workshop critique
Workshop Does Not Include:
- Transportation (Participants will be encouraged to carpool to photo locations)
- All Meals
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Saturday, May 18
- We will meet at Kohl’s Ranch hotel at 10:00 am for a presentation on photography design elements.
- Lunch at Kohl’s Ranch
- We will spend the afternoon mastering our gear and design elements at the Tonto Fish Hatchery and along Tonto Creek.
- The late afternoon light on the rim will give us a great opportunity to search for design elements.
- Dinner at Kohl’s Ranch.
Day 2 – Sunday, May 19
- We will depart for Woods Canyon Lake by 5:00 am to capture sunrise on the lake and then hike along the Woods Canyon Lake Trail to photograph the area.
- On our return to Kohl’s Ranch we will photograph several overlooks along the Mogollon Rim including spring flowers and the surrounding forest in our composition.
- We’ll have a working lunch to allow students time to process images from the workshop and prepare for an image critique session in the early afternoon.
- The workshop adjourns at 3:00 p.m.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on forest service trails for up to 1 mile round-trip. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Kohls Ranch Lodge
202 Kohl’s Ranch Lodge Rd
Payson, AZ 85541
Phone: (800) 438-2929
During this workshop we will be based at Kohls Ranch Lodge east of Payson, AZ. One night’s lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.