From the unsurpassed beauty of Colorado’s high country wildflowers to the alpine tundra of the San Juan peaks, the Colors of the Colorado Rockies offers you the most spectacular and breath-taking scenery for your summer photo adventure. Nestled in the rugged and towering Rocky Mountains, our home base of Ouray is surrounded by towering peaks rising up to 13,000 feet on three sides. For five days, our group will travel through miles of back-country jeep trails, composing and capturing extraordinary images of wildflowers, meadows, alpine lakes and tree-lined peaks with expert guide and instructor, Jim Steinberg.
Each day, we will be transported by our jeep outfitters to capture scenic vistas from sunrise to sunset. From Black Bear Pass to the seldom visited Silver Basin, Jim will show you how to capture each scene at its best. Our days will be filled with photo adventures around every corner, from our drive up Corkscrew Gulch and across Hurricane Pass to the historic ghost town of Animas Forks. We will also find ourselves at Porphyry Gulch, which offers stunning photo ops of spectacular wildflowers surrounding a pristine waterfall. And for those with enough stamina for a short high-altitude hike, you’ll get a true “Rocky Mountain High” standing on top of the world with 360° views of the San Juans.
Cool temperatures, pure mountain air, rich history and scenic wilderness make this the perfect summer photo workshop. So if you’ve never seen the Rocky Mountains up close and personal, this workshop gets you there and you will come back with spectacular photographs to help you savor the experience.
- Photographic instruction
- Four nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Transportation from Ouray, CO
- Tour, permit and entrance fees
- Outfitter gratituties
- Water, snacks and a group meal
- Post workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1– Wednesday, July 24
- Meet in Ouray at the Victorian Inn by 3:00pm for a presentation by our photographer, Jim Steinberg
- Then we will warm up our gear with a sunset shoot nearby.
- Return to the hotel and dinner on your own.
Day 2 – Thursday, July 25
- We will depart early for our morning jeep ride with Switzerland of America Jeep Tours to Black Bear Pass where we’ll capture the morning sunrise over the San Juan Mountains illuminating vast fields of wildflowers with the mountains as a backdrop.
- Late morning we will head back down the hill stopping along the way for some other spectacular photo ops.
- We’ll spend a bit of time resting and downloading our images before walking downtown for lunch.
- Our afternoon will be spent doing our first critique, looking at images you brought along or that you took earlier in the day.
- Weather permitting, we’ll head down the valley looking for some evening light to end our day.
Day 3 – Friday, July 26
- Again we will depart pre-dawn with our jeep outfitter to head up to the seldom-visited Silver Basin. Here we will capture incomparable views of the Uncompahgre Mountains with painted meadows of wildflowers.
- Returning to town late morning, we’ll again take a break to download images before lunch.
- Our afternoon classroom session will focus on editing, workflow, and post-production followed by a critique of your Colorado images.
- A sunset shoot, weather permitting, will be followed by dinner.
Day 4 – Saturday, July 27
- Today we will take an all day jeep excursion going through Ironton Park on the way up the side of Red Mountain through Corkscrew Gulch. Here we’ll celebrate the morning views of the backside of the Red Mountains.
- Then we’ll continue our journey up in elevation as we climb to the top of Hurricane Pass where we’ll capture 360 degree images and views of Lake Como.
- Then we will travel over to California Pass and down the gulch into the National Historic District ghost town of Animas Forks (a mere 11,000′).
- Traveling in along with the Animas River, we travel to the old mining town of Silverton where we’ll have lunch at Handlebars restaurant, a favorite stop featuring buffalo and elk burgers along with the usual fare.
- We will take time for you to explore Silverton on your own.
- To end the day we will have a farewell dinner where we can reminisce about our trip and its spectacular photo opportunities.
Day 5 – Sunday, July 28
- We’ll enjoy another morning jeep ride to Porphyry Gulch where we will capture wildflowers surrounding a picturesque waterfall.
- From here we’ll take a short walk to Bullion King Lake to capture some alpine lake images. For the adventurers, and high-altitude seekers, you can take an additional short hike up to the top of the world that will give you 360 degree views that few photographers will ever experience.
- Winding our way back down to town, we’ll stop along the way for photo ops.
- We’ll take a break before our final briefing.
- Our workshop will adjourn mid-afternoon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate — This workshop will entail some light hiking at high altitudes. Participants must be in moderately good shape to deal with the altitude and moving in and out of our vans and jeeps. The jeep rides can be very bumpy at times and we will be traveling on 4-wheel drive roads only without guard rails.
Equipment Recommendations: Polarizing filters will help reduce sheen on leaves, and will also help reduce hazy skies at this altitude. A reflector can help inject light into dim groves of trees, as appropriate.
The Workshop will Begin & End at:
50 3rd Avenue
Ouray, CO 81427
Tel: (970) 325-7222
During our Colorado workshop the Twin Peaks Lodge will serve as our home base as we venture out daily to photo the area in all directions. This lodging is included in your workshop fees. Lodging is based on double occupancy. Single rooms are only available if a single supplement is selected during registration.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.