Are you a fan of steam locomotives? Imagine chasing these locomotives through the magnificent New Mexico and Colorado mountains in the fall!
Ken Sklute will make this a reality. Ken has captured some of Americas most beautiful steam locomotives as they make their way through the best locations. In order to highlight these powerful machines, Ken will share with you his methods for being in the right place at the right time with the correct camera and lens.
Whether you are a seasoned pro or just beginning your photographic journey, you will grow and go away with remarkable imagery! Autumn in the picturesque mountains will be the landscape for our capturing one of the four steam locomotives beginning in the morning as the engine pulls out of the barn, warms up, takes on coal and then water before it attaches to the period-correct cars that it will pull up the hill.
You need not be a railfan to be excited by the sounds and sights of this 100+-year-old railroad that covers 64 beautiful miles and reaches over 10,000 feet high as it reached the Cumbres Pass.
I have been and scouted the absolute best locations along the route for you to capture remarkable images! I will be alongside you to offer as much in-the-field instruction that you might need.
Each evening following dinner we will view and provide a critique of your images in order to potentially improve your skills each day!
Here are some of the important elements that I hope to expand your photographic skills in:
- Location determination
- Lens selection
- Depth of field
- Image processing in Lightroom
- Image enhancement in Photoshop
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Santa Fe, NM
- Four nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Water, snacks and group meal
- Pre-workshop Webinar
- Post-workshop Critiques
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1: Monday, September 28, 2020
- The workshop will depart from the Best Western Plus in Santa Fe at 8:00 am for our drive to Chama.
- Upon arrival, the group will stop for lunch and then check in to our accommodations
- Early afternoon the group will meet for an orientation and educational slideshow.
- To gear up for our location shoots, the group will warm up their skills by shooting around the Chama depot before enjoying a group welcome dinner.
Day 2: Tuesday, September 29, 2020
- We will begin our day with a sunrise shoot at the Cumbres and Toltec depot to capture the warming the locomotive, filling with coal, breaking the bank and the blowdown.
- Then we will spend the remainder of the day chasing the train for 31 miles from various overlooks and perspectives.
- The day will end with an image critique following dinner.
Day 3: Wednesday, September 30, 2020
- Day 3 will be very similar to Day 2 in location shoots of trains in the depot as well as along the rails.
Day 4: Thursday, October 1, 2020
- Our last morning we will critique of previous days captures using processing tips and tricks in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop to add the finishing touches.
- Late morning we will check out of our lodging and drive back to Santa Fe arriving early afternoon.
Activity Rating: Easy to Moderate
Minimal hiking is required, less than ¼ mile at any location. Physical dexterity is required. This is a fast-moving workshop while shooting so we can exit and enter the vans in a safe, short amount of time.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Best Western Plus
3650 Cerrillos Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87507
Phone: (505) 438-3822
The workshop will depart from the Best Western Plus in Santa Fe. A courtesy block of rooms is available the night prior. This hotel is NOT included in your workshop fees. Please reserve directly with the hotel.
Lodging During the Workshop
Chama Riverbend Lodge
2625 Hwy 84/64
During this workshop, we will stay at the Chama Riverbend Lodge for three nights. This lodging is included in your workshop fees.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.