The wind curls around the soaring sandstone walls of Canyon de Chelly National Monument, whistling the songs of the ancients. Nature has sculpted this landscape that humans have occupied for more than 4,000 years, making it an archaeological, as well as a natural treasure. The 26-mile canyon is home to Ancestral Puebloan ruins, Navajo hogans, homes and farmlands. Livestock, crops and orchards dot the canyon floor while the sandstone alcoves preserve ancient cliff dwellings.
Join Navajo photographer LeRoy DeJolie as he guides this spectacular autumn tour to photograph the canyon from top to bottom, with explorations of both the canyons and the rim. We’ll visit Canyon del Muerto and Canyon de Chelly and traverse the amazing canyon sites. LeRoy has arranged several modeling photo sessions with Navajo weavers, potters and jewelers in traditional dress.
While in the Canyon, you will be transported by local navajo guides whose families have occupied the canyon floor for centuries. Steeped in tradition, these guides will showcase this hallowed ground, share captivating stories and introduce you to the beauty and richness of the Navajo culture while LeRoy will make sure you leave with a memory card full of stunning images of ruins, sandstone monoliths and autumn cottonwoods.
During this week you will experience a taste of traditional Navajo life as we photograph Navajo cowboys on horseback and shepherds herding their flocks over the windswept rippled sand dunes. Join us on this unforgetable photo journey and capture the character and culture of a proud people.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix
- Lodging based on Double Occupancy
- One picnic tour lunch, Sunday brunch in Winslow, water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, model, park, permit and tour fees
- Pre-workshop webinar
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Wednesday, October 16
- Depart from the Phoenix Airport Holiday Inn & Suites at 8:00 am.
- We will stop for lunch at the Little America in Flagstaff.
- We will arrive at the Holiday Inn in Chinle at mid-afternoon.
- Our first photo shoot will be at the Tsegi overlook for sunset.
- Back to hotel for dinner.
- Following our meal we will have our first critique session on images participants bring from home.
Day 2 – Thursday, October 17
- We will we have an all day tour of Canyon del Muerto with photo opportunities at First Ruin, Antelope House, Mummy Cave Ruins and Standing Cow Ruins. A box lunch will be provided.
- We will return late afternoon to the hotel for an early dinner.
Day 3 – Friday, October 18
- We’ll start our day early at 6:30 am for a sunrise shoot at the Junction Overlook.
- Breakfast will follow at the Junction Restaurant.
- The balance of our morning we will be shooting local artists such as rug weaver, Navajo jeweler and a pottery maker. We will conduct a special outdoor modeling session at our hotel using an old barn as a back drop.
- Late afternoon we’ll capture stunning images of a Navajo horse-rider herding sheep across the sand dunes.
- Dinner at the hotel.
Day 4 – Saturday, October 19
- Today we’ll take a half day tour into Canyon de Chelly to photograph White House Ruins, wild horses and petroglyphs.
- Upon returning to the hotel we’ll have lunch followed by some down time to download images.
- We will hold our second image critique in the mid-afternoon.
- Our last sunset shoot will take us to Spider Rock for beautiful views of Canyon de Chelly from the rim.
- We will celebrate the workshop with a final group dinner
Day 5 – Sunday, October 20
- After breakfast on our last morning, we will have one last modeling shoot.
- Late morning we will check-out of hotel and depart for Phoenix.
- On the return trip we’ll stop for lunch at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow and arrive in Phoenix at 7:00pm or later.
Strenuous Rating: Easy – Moderate.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop partipants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
Bia Garcia Trading Post
Chinle, AZ 86503
Phone: (928) 674-5000
During our visit to Canyon de Chelly participants will stay at the historic Holiday Inn in Chinle. This lodging is included in your workshop fee. All lodging is based on double occupancy unless you specified a single room supplement and paid the additional fee.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.