Photograph the Canadian Rockies craggy summits and pristine glacial lakes in one of North America’s most beautiful landscapes. Sparkling lakes capture stunning reflections of glacial peaks and dramatic clouds. Known as “God’s Country,” there is no better season to experience its unparalleled splendor than in summer. Filled with age-old glaciers, wild-flowers, and abundant wildlife, these stunning landscapes are a photographer’s dream. Join landscape photographer Jim Steinberg on an unbelievable journey capturing the pristine beauty of Banff and Jasper National Parks, Lake Louise and Athabasca Falls to name just a few.
In summer the mountain passes are abundant with color and home to a variety of wildlife and their young. As we travel the Icefields Parkway you will learn how to create captivating images with the expert guidance of Steinberg.
This workshop combines beautiful surroundings, comfortable lodging, and picture-perfect scenery. Come experience the majestic Canadian Rockies and take home memorable photographs of North America’s most treasured territories.
- Photography instruction
- Six nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Roundtrip transportation from Calgary**
- Water, snacks and a group dinner
- Park permit and entrance fees
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
**Group transportation is included in the workshop fee with a maximum of 5 passengers per vehicle. Should COVID pandemic concerns continue to warrant self-driving, your workshop fee will be adjusted accordingly.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Sunday, September 12, 2021
- Meet at and depart early from the Calgary Comfort Inn Airport North.
- As we begin our drive into the Canadian Rockies, we will make photo stops near the Kananaskis Trail for great photo ops at Mt. Lorette Ponds, Kananaskis Lakes, Wedge Mt. View, and of course spontaneous stops for wildlife.
- Lunch in Canmore
- Arrive at the Post Lodge at Lake Louise mid-afternoon.
- Grab our gear for an evening shoot at Lake Louise.
Day 2 – Monday, September 13, 2021
- We take in a morning shoot at stunning Moraine Lake.
- After a lunch break, we will hold our first image critique.
- We will grab an early dinner before heading out to one of the surrounding lakes.
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 14, 2021
- We will rise early, check out and leave for a morning shoot at Lake Herbert.
- As we drive north towards Jasper we will make numerous stops along the way at Bow, Peyto, and other stunning vantage points.
- Upon our arrival in Jasper, we will check in to the Sawridge Inn and take a short break before heading out for our evening shoot along Maligne Lake Road.
- Back for dinner.
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 15, 2021
- We will enjoy a morning shoot at Patricia and Pyramid Lakes before returning to the hotel.
- After some downtime to download images and rest and grab a bite for lunch, the group will convene for our second image critique.
- Our evening shoot will find us at Whirlpool River with the Canadian peaks creating the perfect backdrop.
Day 5 – Thursday, September 16, 2021
- We will enjoy an early morning breakfast at the Sawridge Inn before departing for Banff.
- On our way back on down the Ice Fields Parkway, we will make stops at Athabaska Falls, Columbia Icefields, North Saskatchewan River, and others.
- Arriving in Banff late afternoon we will check in to our hotel and then head out to Vermillion Lake for our sunset shoot.
Day 6 –Friday, September 17, 2021
- Rise early for a morning shoot at Two Jack Lake before returning for breakfast.
- The group will then have a free day to walk about Banff before reconvening for our farewell dinner
Day 7 –Saturday, September 18, 2021
- We will rise early one last morning for sunrise at Vermillion Lake before returning to the hotel to check out.
- We’re on the road mid-morning to arrive at Calgary by noon.
- Workshop adjourns.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on graded, maintained trails for up to 3 miles round-trip. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Calgary Comfort Inn Airport North
147 Freeport Cres NE,
Calgary, AB T3J 0T3, Canada
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at the Comfort Inn Airport North in Calgary. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates.
Lodging During the Workshop
The Post Hotel and Spa
200 Pipestone Road
Lake Louise, AB T0L 1E0, Canada
Our first two nights will be spent at The Post Hotel in Lake Louise. All lodging is based on single occupancy.
Our next two nights will be spent in Jasper at the Sawridge Inn. All lodging is based on single occupancy.
Irwin’s Mountain Inn
429 Banff Ave
Banff, AB T1L 1B2, Canada
Our last two nights will be based in Banff. All lodging is based on single occupancy.
TRAVEL INSURANCE IS RECOMMENDED
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.