It’s no secret that Bryce Canyon National Park is well-known for its intriguing geological formations and vast amphitheater. While visiting any time can yield beautiful images, winter offers the possibility of the whimsical hoodoos and spires to be dressed with a touch of snow, giving photographers an incredible chance to create unforgettable images.
During this three-day workshop with Navajo photographer LeRoy Dejolie, we will visit the most scenic viewpoints in Bryce Canyon in hopes of capturing the orange and salmon pink limestone hoodoos capped with brilliant white snow. Aptly named overlooks like Sunset, Sunrise, and Inspiration Points are where we’ll set up our cameras to catch the rising sun illuminating the expansive amphitheaters filled with wondrous rock formations.
We’ll also have opportunities to hike down into the amphitheaters to explore and photograph these eerie rock formations from a different perspective. Get up close and personal with Thor’s Hammer and take a walk through Wall Street as we explore the diversity Bryce Canyon has to offer us.
- Photography instruction
- Three-nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Water, snacks, and a group dinner
- Park entrance and permit fees
- Post-workshop critique
This is a self-drive workshop. Transportation is not included in your workshop fee.
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Pre-Workshop Arrival – Thursday, January 20, 2022
- Informal meet and greet at 6:30 pm.
Day One – Friday, January 21, 2022
- The workshop will kick-off with a sunrise shoot over the Bryce Canyon amphitheater
- After warming up our cameras and creativity, we will return to the hotel for a late breakfast.
- Late morning, you will have time to download images.
- Early afternoon, LeRoy DeJolie will conduct an orientation and photography presentation.
- Then late afternoon we will head out once again for sunset to photograph the endless hoodoos of Bryce Amphitheater from one of its spectacular viewpoints.
- Return to hotel for a group dinner.
Day Two – Saturday, January 22, 2022
- Our sunrise shoot will take place at Sunset Point, which seems counter-intuitive, however, it is one of the most breathtaking views in the park.
- After sunrise, we’ll take a short moderate hike into the amphitheater along the Navajo Loop trail for an up-close and personal look at hoodoos with names like Thor’s Hammer and a slot canyon called Wall Street.
- Return to the hotel for lunch and downloading of images.
- Early afternoon, LeRoy will conduct an image critique of your Bryce captures.
- For sunset, we’ll travel to the neighboring Red Canyon area, where eroded orange and red sandstone rocks in the form of columns, spires, and hoodoos similar to those found in Bryce catch evening sun.
Day Three – Sunday, January 23, 2022
- We will have our last sunrise shoot at Inspiration Point to photograph the vast amphitheater filled with endless spires and hoodoos.
- Returning to the hotel, we will pack our gear and checkout of our lodging.
- LeRoy will host one last image critique prior to adjourning the workshop around noon.
Physical Rating: Moderate
Rim hikes are generally flat, but short hikes up moderate inclines possible over snowy trails and in winter conditions up to 2 miles in length round-trip. Students should be prepared and comfortable photographing in cold temperatures.
Participants should have Yak-Traks for their shoes while walking along the rim or hiking into the amphitheater. Hikes into the amphitheater will only be done if snow levels are low enough to do so without snowshoes and the trails are safe for travel.
Lodging During the Workshop
Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
30 N 100 E
Bryce Canyon City, UT 84764
Tel: (435) 834-5700
During this workshop, we will be staying at the Best Western Plus. The workshop fee is based on single occupancy. Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided. Pre-night rooms are available for the night of January 19. This must be booked only by using the unique booking link provided to you in your confirmation email after registering for the workshop. Participants are responsible for making and paying for this reservation separately.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.