There was a time when black and white photography was all we had. Though color has brought us incredible opportunities that would have been envied long ago, the classic black and white photograph is more highly revered than ever.
You will be lead through a unique and extensive workshop covering a variety of aspects of black and white photography. From digital capture to image processing and optimization, we will help you master the digital world of black and white photography.
Learn and explore the zone system, black and white visualization and other techniques to maximize your creativity while capturing black and white images. This will be a progressive learning experience encompassing photo shoots in the field in a variety of beautiful Northern Arizona locations, along with classroom, critique and review, and image file preparation.
We will learn to optimize digital files with the latest tools and techniques utilizing various types of software. You will also have the opportunity to have one of your images from the workshop professionally printed at 20×24 inches (included in the registration fee)
We emphasize individualized instruction with a hands-on learn-by-doing approach.
- Photographic instruction & image critiques
- Two nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Three working lunches, water and snacks
- Entrance fees and permits
- 20×24 final print (sent post-workshop)
*Participants will provide their own transportation. Car-pooling will be encouraged to minimize congestion.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day One- Friday August 9th
- We’ll meet in the classroom for orientation and review of participant images
- Presentation and discussion about thinking in monochrome
- Break for lunch (catered from local restaurant)
- The black and white process from ideas to output
- Learn about black and white visualization and nailing exposure with the Zone System
- Late afternoon/evening landscape and trail shoot in the San Francisco Peaks putting classroom work into action
Day Two- Saturday August 10th
- Depart before sunrise for Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument
- Field shoot with challenging range of tones in volcanic fields implementing placing zones and other techniques
- Breakfast at hotel
- Classroom for editing and critique
- Break for lunch (catered from local restaurant)
- Black and White composition and visual design
- Afternoon departure for multiple locations to shoot everything from antique farm equipment to people and architecture
- Return to hotel
Day Three- Sunday August 11th
- Depart hotel before sunrise for field shoot in an ideal mountain site for black and white with opportunities for broad landscapes, details and everything in between.
- Classroom and post capture production techniques
- Check out and lunch
- Black and White production techniques with Lightroom and alternatives like ON1, Skylum and Topaz
- Prep favorite images for a final print to be printed by a professional lab and shipped to participants.
- Wrap-up and departure
Strenuous Rating: Moderate
This workshop is based in Flagstaff at an elevation of approx. 7,000′. During our field sessions there will be some walking/hiking approximately ¼ to ½ miles which will include some uneven terrain. Sunset Crater has a short but steep entrance to the trail, some of it stairs. Scheduled during monsoon season, there may be some unpredictable weather, especially for afternoon shoots.
Lodging During the Workshop
Doubletree Inn Flagstaff
1175 W Rte 66,
Flagstaff, Arizona 86001
Phone: (928) 773-8888
Two nights lodging is included at the Doubletree Inn for this workshop. Lodging is based on double occupancy. Single rooms are available for an additional fee. If no lodging is needed please contact the office to reduce your workshop fee by $180.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.