Birds, birds, and more birds, spectacular coastal sunsets, and reptilian creatures will be abundant during this six-day workshop in Southern Florida with former resident, photographer, and author of “Everglades, a Photographic Destination”.
During this workshop, you will visit some of the best birding locations in the entire region from the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, Venice Area Audobon Rookery, Audobon Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, Everglades National Park, and Wakodahatchee Wetlands. You will have an opportunity to capture dozens of species of birds including egrets, burrowing owls, barred owls, heron, Roseate spoonbill along with a variety of wading birds, songbirds, and raptors. Other wildlife photo opportunities may include alligators, otters, white-tailed deer, and turtles.
When we are not focusing our lenses on the magnificent birds and wildlife in South Florida, we have beautiful coastal landscapes for great compositions.
So if you are looking for a fun getaway with lots of great photo opportunities, then you won’t want to miss this workshop with Beth Ruggiero-York and Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
- 6 nights single occupancy lodging*
- transportation from Bonita Springs to Lantana
- Water, snacks, one picnic lunch, and farewell dinner
- Entrance fees and permits
- Everglade Boat excursion
- Copy of Everglades, a Photographic Destination by Beth Ruggiero-York
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Infield instruction and critiques
- Post-workshop critiques
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change depending on weather and lighting conditions in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Sunday, February 6, 2022
- Arrive Ft. Myers airport and coordinate transfer with taxi or one of the scheduled AHPS pick-ups.
- Check into hotel in Bonita Springs
- Mid-afternoon Beth Ruggiero-York will hold an orientation
- Late afternoon the group will head out for our first sunset/blue hour shoot at Naples Pier.
Day 2 – Monday, February 7, 2022
- We will begin our morning with a sunrise shoot at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island.
- Following our morning shoot, we will stop for breakfast before continuing on to Cape Coral to shoot burrowing owls.
- Return to hotel for rest, lunch break, and download of images.
- Depart mid-afternoon for late afternoon and sunset shoot at Venice Area Audobon Rookery to photograph the birds returning to roost at sunset.
Day 3 – Tuesday, February 8, 2022
- Our next sunrise shoot will find us at the Audobon Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary for birds and wildlife.
- We will return to the hotel to gather our luggage and then we will head south to Homestead stopping for lunch along the way.
- In route, we will stop at the Clyde Butcher Gallery and preview some of this acclaimed photographer’s amazing black and white images.
- Upon our arrival in Homestead by mid-afternoon, we will check-in and prepare for our first critique and introduction to Everglades National Park.
Day 4 – Wednesday, February 9, 2022
- We will take a grab-n-go breakfast and head out for our sunrise at Pa-Hay-Okee Overlook in Everglades National Park.
- We will enjoy a picnic lunch in the field as we continue exploring the park for the remainder of the day.
- Dinner and return to the hotel.
Day 5 – Thursday, February 10, 2022
- Thursday morning the group is in for great fun and photo ops during a boat tour in Everglades.
- Return to hotel for checkout.
- Then we are off to Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray to photograph birds.
- After checking into our hotel in Boynton Beach Beth will host a presentation on Wakodahatchee wildlife.
Day 6 – Friday, February 11, 2022
- Our last morning shoot will find us back at Wakodahatchee Wetlands.
- After a stop for lunch, we will drive to Loxahatchee Wildlife Refuge to capture more birds, reptiles, and mammals.
- Return to hotel.
- Farewell dinner.
Day 7 – Saturday, February 12, 2022
- End of workshop. Everyone departs for their own destination. (Closest airport is West Palm Beach @ 10 minutes and Ft. Lauderdale @ 45 minutes)
Physical Rating: Easy to Moderate
While our days will be full from morning until evening, the shooting locations will be easy to maneuver on both paved and unpaved trails and boardwalks. Temperature can range from the high 50’s to the high 70’s.
La Quinta By Wyndham Bonita Springs No. Naples
28600 Trails Edge Blvd
Bonita Springs, FL 34134
Two nights lodging based on single occupancy is included in your workshop fee. (February 6 & 7)
Hilton Garden Inn
2601 NE 9th Court
Homestead, Florida 33033
Two nights lodging based on single occupancy is included in your workshop fee. (February 8 & 9)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lantana
1251 Hypoluxo Road
Lantana, Fl 33462
Our last two nights will be spent in Lantana. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. (Feb 10 & 11)
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.