Each year more than 20,000 Pacific gray whales migrate from Alaska to Baja to mate, birth their calves and ready them for the migration north. Laguna San Ignacio is a protected reserve where many of these magnificent mammals come during the winter months. February is prime viewing season and the perfect time to plan your Baja, Mexico whales photo workshop adventure with our experienced instructor Kerrick James.
For five days we will reside in a luxury eco-camp along the shores of San Igancio Bay where we will have daily guided tours of whales breaching, mating and mothers teaching survival skills to their young. Mothers often push their young close to the boats providing not only great photo opportunities, but often an intimate exchange between humans and these amazing creatures.
When not photographing whales, Kerrick will guide the group on coastal photo walks to take in magnificent sunrise and sunsets and the desert beauty of the surrounding area.
This is a must do experience! You will leave with a portfolio of amazing whale images as well as a greater understanding of the history, habitat and migration patterns of these mammals.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from San Diego including air charter
- Eco-Lodging Tents based on Double Occupancy. Our catered camp is situated on the water’s edge with safari style tents, cots and propane heated showers.
- All meals during the workshop
- All applicable entrance, park, permit, tour fees and gratituity
PASSPORT required for travel
* Returning Customer Discounts are not available on international workshops.
Please be aware that shooting locations state in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Friday, February 15
- Workshop participants will meet at a central location in San Diego and travel by motor coach to an air field near San Diego to get our privately chartered aircraft to Laguna San Ignacio. (Flight time approx. 2 hours)
- Upon arrival we will be greeted by our guides with lunch as we make our way to our base camp.
- After settling in, we will have an opportunity to explore the area with our cameras before returning for happy hour and dinner.
Day 2 – 4 Saturday-Monday, February 16-18
- Each day we will embark on two whale watching /photographing excursions., one in the morning and again in the afternoon. These two plus hour excursions will provide an opportunity to photograph breaching, spy hopping and mothers nurturing their young.
- Between each session we will return to camp for lunch and opportunities to kayak or photograph the local surroundings.
- Each evening we will return for happy hour, dinner and an opportunity to photograph beautiful coastal sunsets.
- Throughout our stay our guides will share their extensive knowledge of the local wildlife and marine life and will present a natural history talk to learn more about the conservation efforts in the area.
Day 5 – Tuesday, February 19
- After breakfast our guides will transfer our group back to the landing strip to board our private charter back to San Diego. We will arrive early evening.
Strenuous Rating: Easy.
This is an easy photo excursion. The most physical activity will be the excitement of photographing the whales. You can choose whether you wish to participate in any of the kayaking activities that are available.
The Workshop with Depart from and Return to:
Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport – Old Town
1955 San Diego Ave
San Diego, CA 92110
We will depart for our private charter from the Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport hotel in Old Town. A courtesy block of rooms are available for the night prior to our departure and the day our workshop returns. These reservations are not included in the workshop fee and must be made directly with the hotel. Please remember to mention Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
Lodging during the Workshop:
During our visit to San Ignacio, our accommodations will be in safari-style camp tents with cots. This lodging is based on double occupancy. If you wish your own tent it will be necessary to pay the single supplement of $750 additional
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 60 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.