Photograph Arizona’s high country at its best. Cool nights and short daylight hours turn quaking aspen and oak forests from summer green to autumn gold. Spectacular displays of fall color brighten the meadows and mingle with spruces, pines and firs.
Our first and last night will be in Flagstaff, where we will photograph the colors of the Kachina Peaks Wilderness. Here we will find clusters of quaking aspens, evergreen ponderosa forests and grassy meadows.
In between our days in Flagstaff, we will capture the changing season at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You will be taught techniques to capture the brilliant colors of the sunrises and sunsets. If we’re lucky, we’ll get close enough to photograph the bison herd that roams the park. Mule deer, Merriam’s turkeys and Kaibab squirrels inhabit the meadows and forests, and California condors ride the thermals overhead, often perching on rocky outcroppings within range of a 300mm lens.
You will not want to miss this opportunity to experience the countless number of photographic opportunities made exceptional by Arizona’s autumn season.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix, AZ
- Four night’s lodging based on Double Occupancy. Single rooms available for an additional fee.
- Water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, park, permit and tour fees
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to provide you with the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Wednesday, October 2
- We will meet in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport location at 7:30am to load gear and depart for Flagstaff.
- Late morning Shane will give a presentation on the core components and teachings of VisionQuest Photography, followed by lunch.
- We will hold an instructional critique of previous work before checking in to our hotel.
- Then we are off to our first late afternoon to sunset photo shoot locations in and around the Kachina Wilderness area.
Day 2 – Thursday, October 3
- After an early morning sunrise shoot we will return to our hotel for breakfast and to pack up gear for our drive to the North Rim.
- On the way we will stop for lunch at Cliff Dwellers and take time for some fun photo ops of the Balance Rocks at the Vermillion Cliffs.
- Arrive at the North Rim and check in to our motel rooms before heading out to photograph sunset at Bright Angel Point.
- Back to the lodge for dinner.
Day 3 – Friday, October 4
- We’ll enjoy breakfast in the field as we head out early morning to capture sunrise at Cape Royal.
- Then it’s off to Angels Window to photograph the stunning vista’s through this natural rock opening.
- Return to the lodge for lunch, downloading and downtime.
- After lunch we will meet for a presentation on Field Practices of VisionQuest Photography
- Late afternoon we will find us at Point Imperial for sunset.
- Returning to the lodge for dinner and bed.
Day 4 – Saturday, October 5
- We will photograph our last sunrise at the North Rim at the nearby Bright Angel Point before packing our gear and moving out of the park.
- Along the way back to Flagstaff we will make stops at various stands of tree-lined meadows bursting in fall color, and where hopefully we find some grazing bison for our foregrounds.
- Then back to Flagstaff, making a stop for lunch at the Cameron Trading Post.
- Arrive Flagstaff mid-afternoon to check-in and hold an afternoon image critique.
- Late in the day we will shoot another spectacular fall color sunset.
- Return for final group dinner.
Day 5 – Sunday, October 6
- Up early for our last sunrise in Flagstaff before returning to town for breakfast.
- Then we will spend a few hours back in the classroom sharing key learning and take away creative practice of VisionQuest Photography.
- After lunch we will pack our gear and drive back to Phoenix for an early evening arrival
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Moderate hikes on maintained and unmaintained trails. Elevation ranges from 7,000′ to 9,000′. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots and warm layered clothing recommended.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Holiday Inn Express
2320 E Lucky Ln,
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Phone: (928) 714-1000
The first and last night of this workshop we will lodge at the Holiday Inn Express in Flagstaff. Two nights lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Should you wish a single room, you may select the single supplement during registration.
Grand Canyon North Rim motel
Grand Canyon North Rim, AZ
Nights two and three will be based at the Grand Canyon North Rim . These motel rooms are single occupancy.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.