The North Rim offers a serene and captivating Grand Canyon experience. Being more remote and less developed than the South Rim, it also attracts fewer visitors. Its topography forms the edge of the Kaibab Plateau, giving way to elevations ranging from 8,000-8,800 feet. This higher elevation lends itself to offering vast vistas from the viewpoints.
The golden season in the Grand Canyon is quite short, lasting only two to four weeks and we have timed this workshop to coincide with the normal peak season so that we can capture breathtaking bright-yellow, dark-red, and golden-orange trees amongst all the evergreens. Their bright gold and pale yellow aspen leaves add an unexpected splash of color amongst the meadows and forests of spruces, pines, and firs.
The North Rim is a fall favorite for photographer Larry Lindahl and he loves to share his expertise and creative vision for capturing this incredible landscape. During this workshop, Larry will guide you to various viewpoints in prime light including Point Imperial, Angel’s Window, and everybody’s favorite, Cape Royal.
Sunset at the various overlooks is often the most impressive time of day to capture this magnificent landscape. The solitude, quietness, and grandeur only add to the glorious views.
When not photographing the canyon or groves of aspen, we may have opportunities to photograph bison, Mule deer, and even some turkeys.
As the facilities at the North Rim are not ideally set up for holding classroom time, Larry will work with individuals in the field and do one-on-one critiques during downtime. Following the workshop, Larry will host an online critique session.
- Pre-workshop webinar
Photography Field Instruction
- Four nights of single-occupancy lodging
- Roundtrip transportation
- Water, snacks, and a group meal.
- Park entrance and permit fees
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Monday, October 2, 2023
- Participants will meet at our departure hotel at 7:30 am to load luggage and gear and get ready for departure at 8:00 am.
- Enroute to the Grand Canyon, we will stop for lunch at the historic Cameron Trading Post. We’ll reach the North Rim by late afternoon.
- After check-in, we will head out for golden-hour photography.
- Return for dinner.
Day 2 – Tuesday, October 3, 2023
- We’ll kick off the day early with a 5:00 am departure for a sunrise shoot at Point Imperial.
- Then we’ll continue to shoot through the late morning capturing pockets of roadside aspens. Larry will check in with participants on their progress and answer questions.
- We’ll return to the North Rim Village for a simple breakfast and download images. Early afternoon we head back out to photograph aspen groves in Kaibab National Forest.
- Late afternoon we will hike Transept Trail for our sunset shoot.
- Return to the Lodge and have dinner around 7:30 pm.
Day 3 – Wednesday, October 4, 2023
- Another early morning departure at 5:00 am for our sunrise shoot at Angel’s Window. After we have finished with Angel’s Window we will head out to Cape Royal.
- Late morning we’ll head back to the North Rim Village for lunch followed by downtime for downloading images.
- In the afternoon we’ll again head out to Point Imperial and drive to Cape Royal for sunset.
- Back to the village for dinner.
Day 4 – Thursday, October 5, 2023
- Once again we’re up and out early at 6:00 am for aspen meadows in Quaking Aspen Canyon and other selected locations in Kaibab National Forest.
- At noon we’ll return for lunch at Kaibab Lodge.
- After lunch, we will drive to the aspen meadows along East Rim Viewpoint/Arizona Trail for more fall color shooting.
- Late afternoon we’ll return to North Rim Lodge for downtime and download of images.
Day 5 – Friday, October 6, 2023
- Our last early morning sunrise will start at 6:00 am near the lodge.
At 8:00 am we’ll check out and begin our trip back to Phoenix, with a couple of roadside stops for our last chance to photograph the autumn foliage and a stop at Navajo Bridge.
- Arriving in Flagstaff around 1:00 pm, we’ll stop for lunch at Beaver Street Brewery.
The workshop is expected to return to Phoenix by approximately 6:00 pm.
Physical Rating: Moderate.
This workshop entails a few short hikes on flat, graded, maintained trails for up to 1.5 miles round-trip. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots are recommended. Please remember this workshop takes place at an elevation between 8,000-9,000′, so we recommend consulting your physician if you have a condition that might be affected by this.
Lodging During the Workshop
Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
North Rim Lodge
Grand Canyon Hwy
During the workshop, our group will stay at the North Rim Lodge cabins. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
When you register within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.