Colorado is known for its spectacular beauty in fall! Groves of yellow aspen trees and fire-red scrub oak provide colorful accents along the slopes of the beautiful San Juan and Sneffel mountain ranges. Photo opportunities will be abundant as we wander below the spectacular mountain peaks. Resident instructor, Jim Steinberg, is thoroughly familiar with this region and will take us to special places where we can photograph the surrounding views from high atop the mountain passes at 13,000′ elevation. Whether you choose to fill your foregrounds with long-abandoned mining equipment or fields of fall color, the results will be picture perfect.
We will board jeeps with Switzerland of America for a few of our outings and be escorted through the surrounding alpine meadows with picturesque views at every turn in the road. We will venture into an era gone by as we explore the historic mining town of Animas Forks and photograph buildings “still standing” from the 1800s. Each day we will photograph landscapes more beautiful than the day before. Whether it’s over the Last Dollar Road or up to the Dallas Divide, this workshop will take you through some of the Colorado Rockies’ most photogenic mountain passes and open fields of quaking aspen. The workshop will culminate in a spectacular all-day jeep ride up Imogene Pass (13,114′ elev.) where we’ll enjoy 360-degree views of the San Juan Mountains ablaze in gold before descending into Telluride for lunch and a stop at the old Tom Boy Mine and returning to our base camp in Ouray.
Come see the Colorado Rockies in all its fall splendor! You’ll capture a gallery of images that won’t disappoint.
- Field instruction
- Five nights lodging based on single occupancy
- Water, snacks and picnic lunch
- Tour, park, and permit fees
- Gratuity for jeep guides
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Tuesday, September 22, 2020
- Arrive in Ouray and check into hotel.
Day 2 – Wednesday, September 23, 2020
- Our group will meet in the lobby of the hotel to pack gear and depart for our adventures
- We will start the day with a drive along the Cimarron River and head up to the Silver Jack area and Owl Creek Pass. This is one of the two most spectacular fall drives in Colorado. We will spend the day photographing in this area and have a picnic lunch in the shadow of the Uncompahgre Mountains.
- Finally mid-afternoon we’ll head down over the west side of Owl Creek into the Uncompahgre River basin and our home base in Ouray.
- Return for dinner.
Day 3 – Thursday, September 24, 2020
- We will start our day early with a drive up Red Mountain Pass, where we will explore the top of the pass (11,018’) and work our way down to Crystal Lake and Ironton Park.
- Along the way, we’ll make images of old gold mines, and hillsides of golden leaves.
- After returning to Ouray for lunch we’ll dig into our images and have a long critique session.
- Then we’ll head back out for a short afternoon shoot.
- Return for dinner.
Day 4 – Friday, September 25, 2020
- The morning will find us enjoying the sunrise over the dramatic and picturesque Sneffels Range from the Dallas Divide.
- From there we’ll head up Miller’s Mesa for a more intimate view of these magnificent mountains.
- Back in Ouray, we will enjoy any lunch and followed by an image critique.
- In the afternoon we will take a jeep ride up into the Red Mountain National Historic Mining District. We’ll have the unique opportunity to photograph up close some of the areas oldest and most historic structures, as well as enjoy unparalleled views of the San Juan Mountains from almost 13,000 feet.
- Return to Ouray for dinner.
Day 5 – Saturday, September 26, 2020
- Today we’ll take an all-day jeep ride over Imogene Pass (13,114’) where from the top of the pass you’ll enjoy 360˚ views of the San Juan Mountains.
- As we drive down into the historic town of Telluride we’ll stop at the old Tom Boy Mine, once home to more than 1000 people.
- After lunch in Telluride, we’ll head back to Ouray over the Last Dollar Road with old ranches, a location set from the original True Grit and once again unforgettable views of the San Juans ablaze in gold.
Day 6 – Sunday, September 27, 2020
- Leisurely morning, check out and say our goodbyes.
- Workshop adjourns late morning.
Activity Level: Moderate
Though light hiking is involved during this workshop, it is at high altitude, so participants must be in moderate to good shape and able to get in and out of vehicles multiple times per shooting session.
Lodging During the Workshop
Matterhorn Inn Ouray
201 6th Avenue
Ouray, CO 81427
Tel: (970) 325-4938
The workshop will begin and end in Ouray at the quaint Matterhorn Inn. Five nights lodging, based on single occupancy, is included in your workshop fee. This hotel does not have an elevator so please advise our office immediate if you must have a first floor room. We will do our best to secure it.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.