“In the dark days of film, shooting with Infrared was a process fraught with challenges and disappointments. I won’t detail the frustrations of loading cameras in dark bags, keeping film cool and away from light, used red filters, plus exposure and processing issues, etc. I put up with all that back then because I loved the look of black & white monochrome infrared images. For some time now it’s been far easier to capture monochrome and color infrared images, thanks to several companies that modify the sensors in camera bodies to respond only to certain wavelengths of light. The company that modified my Pentax K-01 mirrorless camera is called Life Pixel, and you can learn a great deal about their camera mods at https://www.lifepixel.com/ It is possible to have your own camera modified, or buy new bodies from them that are pre-modified to the look you desire. Be aware that this is a one-way street though, as once the sensor is modified, that is locked in.
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Photographic instruction
- 4 nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Round trip transportation from Phoenix
- Water, snacks, and a group lunch and dinner
- Outfitter tours and gratuities
- Entrance fees and park permits
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1: Wednesday, April 20, 2022
- Depart Phoenix at 8:00 am from the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport.
- As the group drives north on I-17, we will make our first photo stop at Montezuma Castle.
- Continuing on to Sedona, we will stop for a shoot at Bell Rock.
- Stopping in Sedona for lunch, Kerrick will show samples and details about our trip.
- Following lunch, we will shoot at Red Rock Crossing, then drive to Flagstaff.
- Mid-afternoon we will check into our hotel leave our luggage and head out to shoot Sunset Crater and the Wupatki loop in the late afternoon light.
- Return to town for dinner.
- Overnight in Flagstaff.
Day 2: Thursday, April 21, 2022
- After breakfast, we will depart for Monument Valley.
- Following a lunch break at Gouldings, we will drop our luggage and head out for afternoon shooting at Teardrop Arch with Guides.
- Upon our return, we will check into our lodging at Gouldings.
- Following a dinner break, we will take in the late light to photograph the Mittens, hopefully with big fluffy white clouds.
Day 3: Friday, April 22, 2022
- We will begin our day with an early guided tour to the Totem Pole area for sunrise.
- Back at Goulding’s the group will enjoy lunch followed by a critique and an infrared processing session of RAW files by Kerrick.
- Late in the afternoon, we will head to the Goosenecks for more Infrared shooting and make a stop for the iconic Forest Gump highway.
Day 4: Saturday, April 23, 2022
- We will begin our day with a sunrise at the Mittens.
- Return to Gouldings for breakfast and checkout.
- Drive to Canyon de Chelly
- After dropping off our luggage we will head out for a 4-hour tour into the Canyon
- Back to the hotel for dinner and rest.
Day 5: Sunday, April 24, 2022
- On our last morning we will take a guided hike to White House Ruins
- Return to the hotel for breakfast and check-out.
- Drive south to Winslow and shoot along Route 66, (Wigwam teepees, Twin Arrows, etc.).
- Lunch in Winslow.
- Drive back to Phoenix.
Physical Rating: Moderate
This workshop includes moderate hiking on uneven terrain, with the longest hike approximately 2.5 miles roundtrip to White House Ruins with a 600′ elevation gain. Our guided jeep tours can be bumpy and dusty so bandanas and warm clothing are recommended.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
2355 S Beulah Blvd
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Tel: (928) 774-2225
We will spend our first overnight in Flagstaff at the Comfort Inn. All lodging is based on single occupancy.
1000 Trading Post Road
Monument Valley, Utah 84536
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.