This workshop is all about night photography, from shooting the Milky Way to starry-filled skies. Based in Sasabe, Arizona at the historic Rancho de La Osa, this location provides incredible dark skies and interesting foreground subjects. We will also spend time photographing at the nearby Buenos Airs National Wildlife Refuge.
During the course of the workshop, we will have opportunities to shoot the Milky Way and starry skies with little to no light pollution. During the day, photographer and author of “Fun in the Dark: A Guide to Successful Night Photography” Beth Ruggiero-York will host classroom sessions on night techniques, as well as hold image critiques and provide instruction on post-processing for night images. Each night, we will choose different foregrounds for our shoot and use light painting as needed to enhance the compositions.
Using the ranch as our base location, participants have the flexibility to stay outside and shoot as long as they wish or turn-in to their rooms at their leisure. During the daytime, there will some free time to either shoot around this historic ranch, download and work on images, or simply rest and enjoy the surroundings.
- Three nights lodging based on double occupancy*
- Transportation from Phoenix**
- All meals at the ranch are included
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together, otherwise single supplements are required for this workshop
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
NOTE: If Kitt Peak Observatory reopens for 2022 our itinerary will begin one day earlier on Saturday, April 23, 2022.
Day 1 – Sunday, April 24, 2022
- The group will depart Phoenix by 8:00 am.
- In route to Sasabe, our group will stop for lunch before continuing on our way to Southern Arizona.
- Upon arrival at the ranch, we will begin our workshop with an orientation and presentation on photography night skies with instructor Beth Ruggiero-York
- After our dinner at the ranch, we will depart for our first shoot sunset into the night. The Milky Way galactic center rises at 11:11 pm, and we will shoot into the early morning hours.
Day 2 – Monday, April 25, 2022
- After a leisurely morning to sleep in and have a late breakfast we will conduct a post-processing session on the previous night’s images.
- After lunch, you will have free time for rest or personal shooting at the ranch.
- Following our dinner, we will head out for sunset and continue shooting night skies until about 1:00 am.
Day 3 – Tuesday, April 26, 2022
- Free morning to rest or shoot at the ranch.
- In the afternoon, we will host another image critiques and Q&A.
- Once again, we will head out for sunset after our final dinner together and continue shooting into the night.
Day 4 – Wednesday, April 27, 2022
- Our last leisurely morning with breakfast before packing our gear and vehicles.
Physical Strenuousness: Easy to Moderate
This workshop will be primarily conducted during the night hours. In most cases, the shooting locations will be near the lodging facilities which allow participants to return to their rooms as desired. Most of the shooting locations will be on easy to moderate terrain.
Lodging During the Workshop
Rancho de La Osa
1 La Osa Ranch Rd.
Sasabe, AZ 85633
Three nights lodging is included in your workshop fee.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.